Suggestions on 17" laptop for visual effects work.

jkstrange

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013
I'm new to this tom's hardware, so, i'm not sure whether or not i'm posting my thread in the correct section.

i'm adobe, autodesk user, and about to go into my second year of animation and visual effects. would be doing much more heavy work on visual effects.

i was considering getting a custom built desktop, but my parents worry that the desktop might get stolen when i'm away during long holidays. distance between my apartment and home is quite far.

so, i'm considering getting a 17" laptop. i was looking around online and saw several choices.
MSI GT70 (gaming series/workstation)
Asus G750
Alienware 17
sager/clevo barebone.

will it be ok to use laptops for hours of rendering autodesk works?
which one could be the best choice?

Solution

Im not sure where you saw that model, but its discontinued by both Sager and Clevo. The ones I saw were running around $1300, and for that price I think you can do better.
This as close as I could get for about 1300 from Sager, with 24GB RAM and dual 750GB hard drives in RAID0 with a GTX765M. If you ll link the one you saw, it'll be easier to compare and contrast...

RogueCustoms

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
I would definitely NOT get the Alienware, and probably not the Asus either. If it was me personally, I would get a Malibal if youre looking in the price range you listed. Youre going to need serious horsepower and serious cooling. They have both.
http://www.malibal.com/
Second choice would probably be the Sager.

jkstrange

Honorable
Sep 30, 2013

will the clevo P170em barebone version be enough?

RogueCustoms

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012

Im not sure where you saw that model, but its discontinued by both Sager and Clevo. The ones I saw were running around $1300, and for that price I think you can do better.
This as close as I could get for about 1300 from Sager, with 24GB RAM and dual 750GB hard drives in RAID0 with a GTX765M. If you ll link the one you saw, it'll be easier to compare and contrast the other options.
https://www.sagernotebook.com/index.php?page=product_customed&model_name=NP7370

Solution