Nexus21

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
In my dorm we have a window that sits right above a table on top of which is my flat screen television. The screen faces away from the window, but the television itself is directly in front of the window and the back of it receives direct sunlight and whatever heat may come through.

This may sound like a stupid question to people who are more knowledgeable of these kind of electronics, but does my roommate keeping the blinds open harm the television?

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008

I'm going to assume there is a screen on the window and that you live in a dry, temperate climate. If so, I'd say you are fine. But, if the elements can come straight at the back of your TV with no protection--rain, insects, or even snow, debris from leaves...c'mon, common sense would say that's not a good idea. We know that ports and plugs can corrode with moisture, etc. Why risk it? Get a screen, and close the window if it is ever raining, or hotter than 75 or colder than 40 outside.

Nexus21

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
Maybe I didn't describe this very well. Let me try again. The window itself is closed, but the blinds are open which lets in the heat and light. It's the heat and light I'm concerned about.

tomsguiderachel1

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2008
Blinds! I get it now :)

I think you'll be fine, but why not simply feel the back of your TV every once in a while to make sure it is not baking in the sunlight. If, on a sunny day, the back of your TV feels extremely hot, I personally would not feel comfortable with it and would insist that the blinds be closed most of the time, especially when nobody is home. That's my opinion. I keep my living room blinds closed during the day.