JayceM

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
I plan on buying a Surface Pro 4, but I don't know if I should put the money towards the i7 CPU (with 8gb ram) or 16gb of RAM (with i5).

I plan on regularly using Photoshop and Premiere with applications like Skype and Chrome running in the background.

Random_tech

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015
Go with i5, since the difference between the i5 and i7 is only really the clock speed, which premier pro doesn't really take advantage of. The programs will take advantage of the increased amount of ram.

rgd1101

Don't

software don't take advantage of clock speed? what?
Depend of which i7, it might be a quad core, can't find anything about the exact cpu model.

I really doubt the Surface Pro 4 will be using a quad core i7 CPU which uses 3x the power of a dual core "U" model CPU and it will generate too much heat for the relatively small form factor to dissipate.

Typically, the clock speed difference between a mobile dual core i5 and i7 CPU is around 200MHz or 300MHz. 16GB of RAM comes in very handy if you work with multiple large image files in Photoshop with and a lot of filters. Chrome is known for being a memory hog especially if there are multiple tabs open.

Random_tech

Estimable
Aug 24, 2015

when i said software, i ment adobe premier pro and photoshop.
and like the last version of surface, they didn't have a quad-core version

JayceM

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

Yeah it uses a dual core i7, thanks for your help.