Surround Sound Setup Help

ben100

Honorable
Jan 21, 2017
I have a Panasonic SA-HT545 connected to my TV through scart, this works fine on the TV source with the freeview channels.

I also now have the new Virgin V6 box connected through HDMI, when I switch from the TV source to this HDMI source the sound comes out of the surround sound for a second or two before the picture appears then the sound cuts off, is there any reason why this happens?

How would I go about getting the Virgin box to play sound out of my surround sound system as it has the optical connection but the surround sound system does not?

Solution
Could be a protection issue on virgins side, could be the tivo box auto switching between Dolby digital to pcm or vice versa.
Could be an inability for the TV to pass audio to the Panasonic when video is active (ie it can't split a digital signal to seperate audio / video streams)

You're mixing a brand new digital only box with a 10 year old analog only receiver with a TV sat in the middle trying to work out what's happening.
Who knows, always a recipe for untold happenings though.
Tried switching those Dolby/pcm modes while the box is active at all ??

Regarding the 3.5mm , I'm honestly surprised the TiVo box has one at all , its probably aimed at customers who maybe running these on a 4k monitor with no audio or speakers .
Be glad...
The v6 should have 3.5mm audio out.
Your old receiver I'm sure has a white/red phono aux in on the back ??

You'll have to confirm this mate though.
If this is the case you want a 3.5mm to twin rca cable.

Aptii 3.5mm Jack to 2 x RCA Phono Audio Cable Gold 5m Lead https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005M1LR1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_jU3GybYJ2NSZX

Run from v6 to Panasonic.
You'll likely have to enable the analog outoutvin the v6 menu & switch to aux on the Panasonic to get audio through.
It will work but won't bebthe automatic process you're used to.

ben100

Honorable
Jan 21, 2017
Thanks for the reply.

Yes the receiver does have the white/red phono aux on the back.

Will the twin RCA cable still work even though the V6 box is connected through HDMI as the only audio settings through the V6 menu are Dolby Digital & Dolby Digital to PCM?

Also is there any reason why the sound works through the Panasonic for a second or two then cuts off when the picture appears when switching to HDMI from the TV source.

Could be a protection issue on virgins side, could be the tivo box auto switching between Dolby digital to pcm or vice versa.
Could be an inability for the TV to pass audio to the Panasonic when video is active (ie it can't split a digital signal to seperate audio / video streams)

You're mixing a brand new digital only box with a 10 year old analog only receiver with a TV sat in the middle trying to work out what's happening.
Who knows, always a recipe for untold happenings though.
Tried switching those Dolby/pcm modes while the box is active at all ??

Regarding the 3.5mm , I'm honestly surprised the TiVo box has one at all , its probably aimed at customers who maybe running these on a 4k monitor with no audio or speakers .
Be glad it does though , it means the virgin box has a DAC onboard & is 99.9999% likely to output digital & analog audio simultaneously.

Try a pair of earphones in it mate ,you surely have a pair knocking about & it'll let you know straight away if its going to work or not.

What TV model out of interest ??

Solution

ben100

Honorable
Jan 21, 2017
Yes tried switching the Dolby/PCM modes to no avail.

Plugging in the headphones into the back of the V6 box does output sound into them.

It is a Celcus TV, not too sure what model exactly.

Also any idea as to why there is no sound coming out of the rear speakers?