Switching from a Mac to a PC - help?

Vriska

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Hello!

I am writing because I have finally decided to make the switch back to a PC from a Mac. I'm planning on using both laptops until my Mac crashes beyond belief (it is almost 6 years old... it'll come any day now).

Anyways, I have been doing extensive research on PC laptops, and I still have no idea what I should get. I've been recommended the Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro, Thinkpad X1 Carbon, and the HP Elitebook, but I do not know if those computers suit my needs. I am a first-year in college and am hoping to get a laptop that will last me years.

I plan on using my Macbook for homework and iTunes, and my new computer for everything else.

Budget: Up to $1500

Size: Any screen bigger than 11", though I am currently on a 13.3" Macbook Pro.

Portable. A smooth trackpad is a HUGE plus.

Battery Life: As much as possible! Though anything beats my Macbook, which gets 30 minutes on full brightness. :p

Gaming: It would be nice if I could, but this isn't a priority. I usually play games like Maplestory, Puzzle Pirates, or the Sims on highest settings.

Other tasks: Art (with an externam Wacom tablet), computer programming, photo/video editing (Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/Lightroom), web browsing.

Hard Drive Capacity: As large as possible!

How long I want to keep my laptop: 4-6 years.

Optical Drive: Just DVD.

Brands?: I'm thinking about Lenovos or HP (the Elitebook) based on my friends' experiences, but I do not know too much about PC laptops.

Solution
If what you're looking for is battery life, the x240 is the very best, but there are some other options out there:

The t440p comes with excellent battery life and can make 15 hours as well, although it's very expensive, out of your price range. The Acer S7 has decent battery life as well, 8 hours, but once again it's quite expensive. The x240, once again, is the very best in this area and i think it can make 20 hours if you turn off WiFi, etc. i had the general office task and web surfing figure wrong, though- it's actually 17 hours.

LummusMaximus

Honorable
HPs tend to be quite plastic-y, so you should really avoid them. If you get one, treat it very well and it should last.

Lenovos, on the other hand, are built as a tough-as-nails business system, and most of them are designed to survive a 30-35mph impact. It won't be usable, but the data will be recoverable.

If I'm going to reccomend a specific model, go the ThinkPad x240. If you upgrade the rear 3-cell battery to a 6-cell you should get 15+ hours with general word processing software and web browsing. The model with i5 will run you about $1500, including the battery upgrade. Only problem is, this model doesn't come with a disc drive. However, you can pick up a nice external one that's USB powered on the cheap: ~30 dollars.

Vriska

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Thanks for the advice! I was leaning away from HP already since I really hate the trackpad, and Lenovo's keyboard is lovely. I'll definitely look into the x240!

Any other suggestions? :D

LummusMaximus

Honorable
If what you're looking for is battery life, the x240 is the very best, but there are some other options out there:

The t440p comes with excellent battery life and can make 15 hours as well, although it's very expensive, out of your price range. The Acer S7 has decent battery life as well, 8 hours, but once again it's quite expensive. The x240, once again, is the very best in this area and i think it can make 20 hours if you turn off WiFi, etc. i had the general office task and web surfing figure wrong, though- it's actually 17 hours.

Solution