Soundboard Nightmare

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Hi,

I want to disable the touchpad on the HP G3 250 Laptop with Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit, but I can't seem to install the synaptics touchpad driver. I have downloaded the driver from the HP support website, I install the driver and then nothing happens. It does not ask me to reboot nor does it change anything in the "Mouse" settings in the control panel.

I have tried installing the driver, uninstalling and re-installing, manually selecting to update the driver, disabling the driver for the touchpad, however none of this works. In the device manager it states the touch pad as a PS2 Mouse so I figured it is a driver issue, but maybe that is not the case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hi,

Just want to ask, you said you want to disable your Touchpad, right? If you just want it disable it, open Device Manager right click on the PS2 mouse and select Disable. Once done, you can now plug in a USB mouse and use it as the default Mouse. But if the problem is you want to install the driver for the Touchpad please do try these troubleshooting steps.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall any driver associated with the mouse or touchpad.
- Once uninstalled, connect a USB mouse then download and install the latest driver from HP.
- http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=6732463&swItemId=ob_130108_1&swEnvOid=4063
- Reboot the laptop once the latest driver has been installed then test it again.

Soundboard Nightmare

Commendable
May 23, 2016

Hi Laptop_Nerd,

I tried doing what you said, but still no avail. I went to device manager and the disable option was grayed out, I could do everything else however. So, I tried uninstalling, but it tells me I need to reboot to finish the uninstalling. When I log back in it automatically downloads the PS2 driver for the touchpad. I will go back to try to uninstall, download & install the HP driver first and then reboot to see if this works, though I have my doubts.

Thanks for the response! Any other ideas are welcome! I will come back with the results of my troubleshoot shortly.

UPDATE: Uninstalling the driver, installing the HP driver and then rebooting did not work. It automatically installed the PS2 driver upon login.