System file corrupted and recovery disk doesn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leon W

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
I have a 4 year old Gateway NV56 laptop [running Windows 8].

The battery inside of it was burned out and wouldn't hold a charge for more than a few seconds, which caused the computer to shut itself off if it became unplugged. Yesterday it came unplugged while booting up and when I tried to boot up again I was given a blue screen with error code 0xc000014c and told a system file was missing or corrupted and that I need to repair the computer.

I disabled Secure Boot in the UEFI settings and after restarting was given a black screen and asked to insert a bootable disk. I inserted my repair disk that I made when I bought this laptop but it said "non-system disk or disk error". At this point I'm not sure what to do since my recovery disk won't work. Do I have any other options besides doing a factory reset?

Solution
I managed to fix it. I changed the boot mode from Legacy BIOS back to UEFI and that allowed me to do a system restore. When it was in Legacy mode it gave me an error when I tried to do an SR but switching it back fixed it. Thanks though guys.
The "non-system disk or disk error" suggests that your laptop is still trying to boot from the corrupt Windows installation on the internal HDD.

Make sure you configure your laptop to boot from the optical drive as it won't necessarily boot from it automatically, especially when an OS is already installed.

Bring up the Boot Device Menu at boot time by pressing the appropriate key (usually F12 or F11), select the optical drive from that menu, then press the <Enter> key.

Leon W

Prominent
Apr 7, 2017
I managed to fix it. I changed the boot mode from Legacy BIOS back to UEFI and that allowed me to do a system restore. When it was in Legacy mode it gave me an error when I tried to do an SR but switching it back fixed it. Thanks though guys.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.