T-Mobile Android Users Get Free WiFi Calling

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I've been using this UMA wifi calling feature for 2 years on my Blackberry bold 9700. It works all over the world, texting works too! When I leave the country I turn the mobile radio off and only hop on free and hotel wifi spots. making and receiving calls for free.. Europe, Japan, Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Russia all work great! Mind you, I can only call the USA, as it's just like I was in the US. No mins deducted from my plan and I can keep in touch with SMS and MMS!!!! Love it! Tmobile rocks. And I always have a signal where there's a wifi! Calls are clearer than cell calls too. Rocks.

G

Yes, UMA is basically like VoIP technology. Good for people in rural areas or who get bad reception at home.

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
Why would anyone switch to T-Mobile now? They'll soon become ATT and take away all the free perks they're offering.

CTT

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Works great in low coverage areas, my house and work being two of them and comprising 90% of my time. Its actually the only thing that makes t-mobile useable for me. If I had it to do again, I'd go with Verizon or even AT&T just due to coverage in my area.

G

"Previously, making use of this feature cost extra and those WiFi calls counted towards your minutes." Why would they have charged you minutes in the first place when you are not using their bandwidth? Should have been "free" to start with.

quickmana

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I have been using wifi calling with tmobile for some time now in my apartment, because I don't get a good signal in there. I LOVE how texts via wifi are instant. I HATE how MMS or pictures are not supported :(.

I was disappointed initially to learn that wifi calling used my plan minutes. I think this is great news, and how it should have been in the first place.

TheVolcanoKid

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
[citation][nom]CTT[/nom]Works great in low coverage areas, my house and work being two of them and comprising 90% of my time. Its actually the only thing that makes t-mobile useable for me. If I had it to do again, I'd go with Verizon or even AT&T just due to coverage in my area.[/citation]

Ha, now's the time to take advantage of the plans. You'll be grandfathered in if this deal goes through.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I use Wi-Fi calling when my cell signal drops at my apartment, but I don't prefer it to my regular cell calling. I find Wi-Fi to be a little choppy (latency issue with my cable internet?). Still, it's nice to have the option, and if it works overseas that an even bigger plus.

[citation][nom]mchuf[/nom]Why would anyone switch to T-Mobile now? They'll soon become ATT and take away all the free perks they're offering.[/citation]
Sadly, this is probably true. If AT&T gets the go-ahead, I'll be switching to Verizon or a smaller carrier when my contract is up (or if I'm given the option to opt-out). I won't give a dime to AT&T. There's a reason the government broke them up in the 80's, and they're just buying there way right back to that point.

G

Anyone have any idea how to get this on the Nexus One. I have T Mobile and this could solve my home dead spot. Unfortunately, T Mobile says not supported on Nexus One.

Status
Not open for further replies.