T-Mobile vs. Verizon: It’s Amazing How Even of a Match This Is

Status
Not open for further replies.

androidpjx

Prominent
Dec 1, 2017
T-Mobile One Plus International ($25/mo/line) gives you unlimited 4G tethering (up to the 50G usage threshold)

canesfan81

Estimable
Jun 21, 2015
I realize that population centers are just that, where the majority of a given region's/state's/nation's people live. With that in mind, that is where most network testing is done, and rightly so. However, the great swaths of territory in between metros, and almost as importantly along interstate and other major highways, is where a good deal of wireless customers find out what their chosen carrier has done with their network. While T-Mo may be making some headway in this area, it is still in the smaller non-urban and greater suburban areas connecting large cities. Like between Orlando and Tampa FL, just taken as a for instance for distance between 2 better known cities since I really don't know the coverage in that strip of interstate. Stretching to a greater distance like Nashville and Indianapolis or even Chicago shows very spotty coverage still for the magenta carrier. They were just late to the WE'RE GONNA SPEND LOADS OF $$$ ON INFRASTRUCTURE game, and concentrated, until quite recently, on its wheelhouse of big cities. Like in my small city of only a quarter million, one can almost exactly predict when one shall lose T-Mo's lte signal (and pretty much hspa+ as well) since it follows the city limit. Of course big red's signal in pretty much all aforementioned territories is there and pretty strong if not good. So yes, magenta's working on filling in gaps they say, but the work they've ahead of them seems nearly insurmountable. Add to that the approaching 4.5G and 5G network rollouts, it's hard to imagine how T-Mobile/Deutsche Telekom (or most companies really) can continue to afford to broaden existing technology's (LTE) footprint in comparatively rural areas AND rollout 5G to already well covered areas plus those rural areas.

shawndugout13

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
So many test..Left Verizon years back and will never go back. Constant billing issues, run around support, taxes and fees galore, etc. The only reason I stayed with them at the time because yes, the reception reliability was great and still is. BUT, T-Mobile now has great reliable 4G LTE, and 3G coverage, fast too. You can argue which one edges the other now on all these "test" we keep hearing of from different sources but times have changed. To even mention root metrics scam is shamefull, considering they always rank T-Mobile last. Makes you wonder huh..Open signal is a more reputable and more extensive testing measure. You forgot to mention the test just prior also where T-Mobile won all 6 catagories, the first time ever been done. You also forgot to mention the other national ranked customer service data which had T-Mobile ranked number one. From having both carries I can tell you times have changed. The one advantage Verizon had has slipped and continues to. I would be interested in more detailed info on what test methods were done here in this testing as contrast to Open Source. I do doubt the resources as they will probably be very isolated and limited on a more complete scale of testing methods.

shawndugout13

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Canes fan81, T-Mobile has already started implementing some new towers, along with new equipment on existing infastructure. Next phase will simply be to push a software update. Remember, there are no mobile devices as of now 5G capable. There will be shortly though by the end of this year and rolling into 2019.

shawndugout13

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
Also, T-Mobile states as well the 50G does not mean you will be throttled, just that it may be dependent on time, location, priority, etc. On T-Mobile here for many years now. Night and day from the good old days. I usually average 25 to 35G in a billing cycle. I have tested about a handfull of times this possible cap from 55G to 70G and All times I was still getting in the same locations and time 4G LTE. It is more difficult as of now and for a while actually for Verizon as well as others to do on unlimited plans. Hence why Verizon and others start at 25 to 28G possible caps. We can actually thank T-Mobile for taking the lead and seeing others follow regarding plan options, deals, perks, unlimited plans, etc. Funny to see..They started offering better plans, then more did the same. They let you stream music without counting towards data. Now others offer Spottify. They gave you netflix. Now others offer Hulu. Now, lets see what they offer streaming tv services with the purchase of layer 3. THEN, lets see what others start doing.

taylorh_9

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I have phones on both in California and I can say that 95% of the time they're pretty much both great. Going rural is where T-Mobile is still weak. There are places where T-Mobile still has no towers and no signal. Also, it has been my experience that in "congested" areas Verizon holds up more reliably.
T-Mobile is total crap at my house, my parent's house, non-existent (literally) at my wife's parents house, my sister's house, and at my work. So I have 5 specifically good reasons to not. That doesn't even count my frequent vacation spots and the beach I go to (yes, still.)
As for data limits. Verizon says 22GB, but I know people that have gone to 100GB+ and don't notice any deprioritization. They may see it in congested areas but they aren't complaining.
So Verizon has my vote for reliability and the aren't about the same price.
I had AT&T for a long time and I'll never go back.
Verizon CS has been great and have always taken good care of me, so there's that.

Jul 14, 2018
The $5 difference in the plans is obliterated by: 1. $5 credit per line that VZW gives if you auto bill pay + paperless billing. +right now, its giving a $150 gift card if you bring your number to VZW. i'm laughing at the uncarrier.........after 7 years with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.