Tablet for recording basketball games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jxj827

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
I am looking to purchase something to record my son's basketball games for college recruiters. I usually hate recording because I feel like I can't see the game itself. I noticed one parent using a tablet, it looked like an IPAD maybe, and it was on a tripod. The entire game she just had to move it right to left depending on the side of the court they were on. It looked a lot easier than holding a camcorder for the entire game. Has anyone else had experience with this? If so, any recommendations?

Solution

In your initial post, the difference was tripod vs no tripod.
Not iPad vs camcorder.
Basketball games are the bane of sports photographers. They are almost always held indoors, so there is a lot less light than you get at most other sports (outdoors). Typically you need to use a large, fast sensor combined with a large lens to collect enough light at a basketball game to show the action clearly without everything turning into a blurry mess.

A cell phone or tablet camera is precisely the opposite of these things. Small, medicore sensor combined with a tiny lens. The image will be soft, undefined, noisy, and blurry unless you shoot at the widest possible angle, in which case most of the time the action will be too small to see any detail. Buy or borrow a camcorder or DSLR camera with video capability on a tripod instead.

USAFRet

Illustrious

In your initial post, the difference was tripod vs no tripod.
Not iPad vs camcorder.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.