Taking off the monitor of a laptop

cottoncandyman82

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014
My brother, dropped my laptop, (Facepalm) and detached the monitor, partially, from the rest of the laptop. All the internal things, RAM, harddrive, ect. and fine, just the monitor. The monitor no longer works, the wire is still allowing the monitor to dangle down, but I just want to get rid of it since it's just a nuisance. I'll just hook an HDMI cable to my tv and use that, get a wireless mouse and keyboard and BAM got a makeshift desktop. But at any rate, how do I do this without damaging the laptop?

Solution
You'd need to take the laptop apart, disconnect the video cable (and possibly the wireless antennas, if any), and then the screen should come right out. The disassembly process varies a lot, though, depending on your laptop.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
You'd need to take the laptop apart, disconnect the video cable (and possibly the wireless antennas, if any), and then the screen should come right out. The disassembly process varies a lot, though, depending on your laptop.

Solution

cottoncandyman82

Estimable
Dec 25, 2014

Thanks for the quick answer.

Is it difficult to take apart a computer safely?

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
Desktops are usually easy since they're bigger and most things are held with screws. Laptops, though, can be trickier, because a lot of things are clipped or glued, making it much harder to take apart.

Try to see if you can find a tutorial online to take apart your specific computer. Remove the battery for safety, and get a set of small screwdrivers. Other than that, it's hard to say specifically how difficult this would be, since it really depends on the laptop, and I don't know them all :p

Do also consider that the laptop might not like running off an external display. It's the only options we have here anyway, but you might run into some interesting challenges with that.