tape deck won't close with the tape inserted but will go down without the tape inserted

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlstrick

Estimable
Jun 15, 2015
I have a Sony Handycam Video 8 (CCD-TR93). I want to copy my old 8mm tapes onto DVD but my camera will not accept the tapes. I can open the camera, insert a tape and the tape deck will not close. It just makes a spinning sound and ejects the tape. The tape deck closes properly without a tape inserted. Is there a fix for this problem?

Solution
Are there any error codes on the screen? I won't promise any of the following will work but may be worth a shot:
1) Remove the battery and plug it the power adapter and see if that makes a difference.
2) Try resetting the camera to factory defaults.
If there is no error message and neither of those two help then it is possible there is a defective part (sensor?) in the camcorder.
I have had the same problem on a Sony HDR-HC1 but had not tried the power adapter alone solution. Unfortunately I can't now because the tape carriage is not functioning due to an unrelated error.
Are there any error codes on the screen? I won't promise any of the following will work but may be worth a shot:
1) Remove the battery and plug it the power adapter and see if that makes a difference.
2) Try resetting the camera to factory defaults.
If there is no error message and neither of those two help then it is possible there is a defective part (sensor?) in the camcorder.
I have had the same problem on a Sony HDR-HC1 but had not tried the power adapter alone solution. Unfortunately I can't now because the tape carriage is not functioning due to an unrelated error.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.