What camcorder will read tapes from a analog Hi8 SONY CCD-TR82?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 3, 2018
Welcome back to 1995!

I recently have been transferring twenty year old family memories to my Mac.

About 90% through the first tape, the camera became unable to read the tape. Time code stands still, but the tape was still moving.
I put in another tape. This one played fine until about 80% in, the exact same thing happened.
I can still read other tapes, but when I put these two tapes back in, the problem persists.

At this point, I'm convinced this camera is probably the problem.

Some general information.

Camera in question: SONY CCD-TR82

Tapes are Video8 tapes, but this camera also was used to record on Hi8s.

I've cleaned it several times. It didn't help.

Do you guy's agree the camera is the problem?
More importantly, will any Hi8 camcorder be able to read these tapes, or will I need a specific type?
Any recommendations?

Any advice/ ideas are appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

:Ranstone

Solution
No, that is not what I'm saying. I believe you have a better chance with a Sony camcorder than you do with other brands. Any Sony Hi8 camcorder should work. I just think the same model would be ideal but I know the odds of finding the exact model may be difficult.
If the camcorder plays back other Video8 tapes without issue the problem is more than likely the tapes.

Other manufacturers Video8 or HI8 camcorders may be able to play the tapes without issue but it may be best to stick with the Sony brand and if possible find a good used one of the same model.

Jul 3, 2018

See, the camcorder's drum head has become less and less sensitive after years and years of my parents running cleaning tapes, and swabbing it with rubbing alcohol. I think I may try getting a new camera first, before I surrender these tapes to the sands of time.

By reading your comment, am I correct in assuming that If I buy a random Sony Hi8 camcorder off of amazon, It's no guarantee to play the tapes?

Thank you for your response.

No, that is not what I'm saying. I believe you have a better chance with a Sony camcorder than you do with other brands. Any Sony Hi8 camcorder should work. I just think the same model would be ideal but I know the odds of finding the exact model may be difficult.

Solution
Jul 3, 2018

Well then, thanks for your time. A fine Hi8 camcorder is less than 200$ nowadays. XD
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

BTW. Nice jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.