Teen Shoots Self After Leaving Facebook Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Google has also taken steps towards sensitivity. Those who search for suicide related things get a hotline number returned as the top result.

I guess some band who wishes to call themselves suicide, or poison control won't be getting top priority on google anymore.

G

I just googled "how to slash your wrists" and there was no hotline number, just alot of results on how to kill yourself the fastest. google lied to you.

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
After watching the recent South Park episode highlighting "Facebook", I can't take any Facebook related news seriously.

I guess the lad lost in Yahtzee. /rip

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
I don't get why people automatically think that because to their perception "they had everything going for them" it must be so to the person, as well. It's really an insensitive thing to say, and really just shows that they didn't know what the person was really thinking.

I hope they find what they're looking for in whatever comes.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
The problem is that everyone is too wrapped up in themselves on FB to even notice.
His posts probably got buried by updates on what someone is now a fan of to be noticed.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Our question of the week is: Should we be more sensitive about people say in the public forum, be it aggressive or depressive?

No. Its their life. To each his own.

N19h7M4r3

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
i dont give a crap about depressive, cause the worst thing they can do if fall on someone mid suicide... agressive is a whole diferent story... hey i'ma blow up a school! things like this should at least be investigated... you never know... lol

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
I've been through some depression (ok, a lot), and I've posted very negative status updates on my facebook before, including some updates that were suicidal in nature, when I was suicidal. It's easy to just click a link, leave a page and forget about what you read about a friend. I'm not saying call the cops or whatever, but I think it is certainly important to take action when you read something very negative online. It's amazing what a phone call, or a simple message on facebook can do. It really can save a life. Just ask what they are up to, or strike up a worthless conversation, then slowly try to figure out what is wrong. That's what people have done for me, and I've also done it for other people, and it really helps.

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Also watch for patterns, or continued postings of negative thoughts, comments, etc. It's hard for people to admit when they are depressed, and having a friend talk to them, and help them through tough spots does help.

vcbb10

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
As for the comments left by this person on fb, it would be really hard to read between the lines on those two comments. Unless you really knew what the person was going through, and what would make them that upset, reading those two comments would probably not always make me talk to them and try to help. People always joke about being on 'suicide watch' when something bad happens to people, but it isn't always a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.