Teens Sending & Receiving 3,339 Texts Per Month

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

puscifer919

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
You either get it, or you don't.

Since the first, I've sent 930 and received 994, so I'll be pushing towards 4,000 by the end of the month. I don't spend all day or night texting, just here and there throughout the day. It's a good way for me to keep in touch with a lot of different people without really interrupting anything I'm doing. I happen to like ongoing conversations that span over days, just to stay in touch with friends, but some prefer to keep in touch other ways.

In the end, who cares. Just do it your way and be happy. =)

Oh, and I'm 24 and male, if anyone was wondering.

lejay

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]hemburger[/nom]i send less than 20 texts a month and im a teen, i prefer the "outdated" method of voice. i hate generalisations like this article.[/citation]

Well, nobody likes statistics, doesn't mean they're not useful. You can't really argue with an average.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]FriendlyFire[/nom]Never ever sent a text message. I don't see the point. Whatever I need to say quickly can be done with a phone or, heavens forbid, by speaking directly at the person! Whatever I need to say that is not urgent can wait until I have the ability to send an email.And before you ask, I'm 20.[/citation]

Maybe you can say to somebody: "I'm free today. Call me if you wish.". Without bothering them by calling them at 7:00 in the morning.

prozium42

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
[citation][nom]lejay[/nom]Well, nobody likes statistics, doesn't mean they're not useful. You can't really argue with an average.[/citation]
Good example of when averages skew things to the point their more or less useless. Simply put averages on vast amounts of people cause a massive chunk of those people to not be seen in the numbers. This is one of those examples. Especially whenever i see these articles and they say 'Though they show less of an interest in voice, teenagers are still calling their friends pretty regularly.' instead of 'most teenagers' or 'the average teenager'. I know people from High School that wouldn't even read texts from friends and call them up if they needed something, while i know others that had their phone for 3 years and only used the speakers for calling their parents when they absolutely had to.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
This espouses why we need to tell the phone companies "Hey, texts use almost NO bandwidth, make them unlimited for X dollars a month (under 5) or we will by passing laws!"

AnUnusedUsername

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
I will always fail to understand the appeal of text messaging. Sending messages via text was, and always has been, done because voice wasn't possible. Letters, because there weren't phones yet, email, because its faster than letters but serves the same purpose, and can be targeted at people whom you don't know/don't know very well, and finally, text chat/im/whatever you call instant messaging on a pc, which became popular because people needed to be able to communicate through pc's but voice was not an option, since most people didn't have microphones. Now that phones are mobile, why would you want to bother using text when voice is an option? And if voice isn't an option, shouldn't you be paying attention to what you are doing/who you are actually talking to? I feel like I'm the only person my age that really doesn't like text messaging...

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
[citation][nom]AnUnusedUsername[/nom]I will always fail to understand the appeal of text messaging. Sending messages via text was, and always has been, done because voice wasn't possible. Letters, because there weren't phones yet, email, because its faster than letters but serves the same purpose, and can be targeted at people whom you don't know/don't know very well, and finally, text chat/im/whatever you call instant messaging on a pc, which became popular because people needed to be able to communicate through pc's but voice was not an option, since most people didn't have microphones. Now that phones are mobile, why would you want to bother using text when voice is an option? And if voice isn't an option, shouldn't you be paying attention to what you are doing/who you are actually talking to? I feel like I'm the only person my age that really doesn't like text messaging...[/citation]

You can text someone and most times, you don't have to wait for them to pick up the phone, go through the perfunctory, and then hang up.

Texting someone unless you are going to have a 15 or more minute conversation with them is the way to go in the world today.

G

I'm seriously getting fed up with these teen sterotypes. I'm 15 years old and I've never had a cell phone, I've never had an mp3 player, I've never had a game console and I've never texted in my life. I've always used a phone when I needed to talk to someone. I know that I'm not the only teen in the world who knows how to spell properly and doesn't get anything lower than a C in school. I'm really fed up with the teen stereotypes. Every day it's, "I have lost hope in the future generation," or ,"when I was your age" or ,"you little punks" on one side and ,"duuuuuuuuuude u wana go git sum foooooooooooooood????!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :) XD :p T_T", or "OMFG i

bravura

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Text message are safe in the manner that you are not going to disturb somebody during a meeting or in the class room. Also, unlike phone calls the recipient is free to answer at later time.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]pssedofteen[/nom]I'm seriously getting fed up with these teen sterotypes. I'm 15 years old and I've never had a cell phone, I've never had an mp3 player, I've never had a game console and I've never texted in my life. I've always used a phone when I needed to talk to someone. I know that I'm not the only teen in the world who knows how to spell properly and doesn't get anything lower than a C in school. I'm really fed up with the teen stereotypes. Every day it's, "I have lost hope in the future generation," or ,"when I was your age" or ,"you little punks" on one side and ,"duuuuuuuuuude u wana go git sum foooooooooooooood????!?!?!?!?!?!?!? XD T_T", or "OMFG i[/citation]

Yup, I absolutely recognise this from my own life. While I do own a mobile phone, I rarely use it. While I frequently listen to music, I don't feel the need to do so just about everywhere. I don't see the point in hashing and rehashing every word to the point it becomes impossible to understand it, nor do I think every word has to be followed by a list of smilies. I don't feel cool when I get a bad grade (which almost never happens).

And yet still, older people put me in the same box as teens who do all of the above.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
6mb a monmth!!!

i strugle with 100GB a month on pc i wouldnt be able to cope with that little data on phone

id be streaming my video collection to my phone and i would run out of montly allowance in 1 day

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bmadd[/nom]How is sending a dozen messages easier and faster then a 30second phone call?[/citation]

texting is way better.

with texting, delays are acceptable. You can wait 15 minutes(or more) to respond to someone's question. Try that on a phone conversation and you will make people mad. What's really annoying is when someone calls me to ask me a simple 5 word question. They could've just texted it and I could read and respond to that text in under 5 seconds at any time of my choosing and convenience. But since they had to call me, they now are wasting 2 minutes of my time at a time of THEIR CHOOSING, NOT MINE.

getritch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
[citation][nom]the_krasno[/nom]And my dad flips out when the phone bill says I sent 180 texts...[/citation]

ha! i sent almost 200 just today...of course i'm no longer a teen so that doesn't affect this metric, but i understand your pain.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm just two years out of teens and I only send/receive around 200 a month. Can't understand the people who use up 5000 texts.

With these heavy texters everywhere, I'm curious why sending/receiving native e-mails on phones haven't gotten much hold in North America. Japanese teens use e-mail addresses tied to their SIM card and that allows for 10,000 character entry. With English requiring more space to express the same idea as Japanese, I would've thought everyone would jump at using emails.

Status
Not open for further replies.