Temperature vs GPU usage (FPS)

sisiropa

Honorable
Aug 31, 2013
so i have this laptop acer 4830tg for a year, mostly used for gaming. i've encountered problems due to overheating and fps drops in many games and noticed this from msi afterburner, which means i can monitor my gpu usage and temperature as well. here's the graph when i was playing SR4

msi.jpg

at the beginning, i could play for almost 40 fps (capped) until a moment when everything turned slower.
thus, i realize that whenever my temp reach a certain degree, my gpu usage cut down almost a half also FPS as well, to maintain laptop temp at safety degree (40 fps to <20 fps). although i placed my cooling pad and cleaned my heatsink neither solved this heat problem.

Any ideas? Thank you.

P.S
sys spec:
Intel I3 2330M 2.2 ghz
NVIDIA GT 540M 1024GB
6 GB RAM DDR3
Win 7 64bit

Solution
67 isn't that hot. It's strange that it throttles down but never throttles back up even after the temperature drops. If you can, turn off the throttle and see what happens.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
67 isn't that hot. It's strange that it throttles down but never throttles back up even after the temperature drops. If you can, turn off the throttle and see what happens.

Solution