The 20 Best Firefox Extensions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mauller07

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
ad block plus is wicked, has made so many pages load faster then they normally would

aero buddy is also very nice if you have a vista/7 machine :)
would be nice to see aero and persona working together

G

Hardly the "20 Best Firefox Extensions."

How about a more accurate title, "My Favourite Firefox Extensions." With the subtitle, "That don't block Tom's Ads"

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I can only believe that Adblock Plus was not included because it blocks ads on Tom's. If a Firefox user has only loaded a single add-on, that's the one. No contest.

Hilarion

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2008
Of these I've only used VideoDownload Helper and I stopped using it as it greatly slowed down the opening of Fire Fox. My favorites are:
AdBlock+
NoScript
Ghostery
No nonsense, fast web-pages, fewer "annoying" things to deal with.

Bruceification73

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Adding Greasefire to Greasemonkey makes modifying webpages a piece of cake! No javascript experience required!

Also, Adblock Plus, Autocopy, Mr. Tech Toolkit, and Tab Mix Plus are all good add-ons.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Interesting. I have to say that the ad-blocking stuff didn't even cross our minds as we were writing this. I guess it just didn't seem like anything new had happened with that technology lately--which is what we were looking out for. Devin, anything to add?

dconnors

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I like AdBlock Plus a lot. The reason I did not include it in this article is because it's been around for so long. While several of the extensions I included have the same kind of popularity, I tried to focus on apps that aren't considered to be "staples" of Firefox like AdBlock Plus.

-Devin

adipose

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Wow, rachel, that is some serious BS. You manage to miss three of the top five extensions in your list of the "20 best firefox extensions." Those extensions just happen to be the ones that you probably don't appreciate people using on your page (understandably). Now you try to spin it as "they aren't new enough, so we didn't include them"?

If this is the "top 20 extensions you may never have heard of" I might believe you. But you have plenty of old extensions on here (smoothwheel? first released in 2003 and I have been using it since then), so don't lie...

G

LOL I just saw the Hitler's reaction to the GTX 480 video. Hilarious.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]adipose[/nom]Wow, rachel, that is some serious BS. You manage to miss three of the top five extensions in your list of the "20 best firefox extensions." Those extensions just happen to be the ones that you probably don't appreciate people using on your page (understandably). Now you try to spin it as "they aren't new enough, so we didn't include them"?If this is the "top 20 extensions you may never have heard of" I might believe you. But you have plenty of old extensions on here (smoothwheel? first released in 2003 and I have been using it since then), so don't lie...[/citation]

Devin can tell you what is updated in Smoothwheel in 2010. You can be pretty sure that unless we say otherwise, all articles on Tom's Guide focus on new developments--usually within last 3 months, but sometimes within last 6 months. We hardly ever talk about stuff older than.

You can choose to believe that we were avoiding certain add-ons related to ad blocking if you want to believe that, but you'd be wrong.

mitch074

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
AdBlock Plus is in constant development, if the almost weekly updates (not counting list of blocked URLs) are any indication. It complements the popup blocker nicely, speeds up browsing a great deal, and has NO equivalent anywhere else (the Google Chrome version merely hides ads, but Chrome still downloads the content; between Chrome+AdBlock and Firefox+AdBlock, the speed contest isn't one: Firefox browses faster, forget about Javascript speed)

NoScript also is updated often. These are mostly bug fixes, but also try to take into account all the contexts in which an unauthorized script may try to inject itself into an authorized content. This may be a bit tricky to implement, but results are here: it thwarts most script injections techniques used.

Web Developer Toolbar also is a useful extension; eventhough it is targeted at developers (as FireBug, the ultimate HTML+Javascript+CSS+DOM debugger, is), its ability to save 'generated source code' may allow someone to save a full dynamic web page in the exact state it is at the moment is unparalleled.

omaudio

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
I use "session manager" and another great is FEBE which backs up all your add-ons. What I really want is an xmarks like add-on for add-ons!

Status
Not open for further replies.