The noisiest laptop ever

melampo_

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
My seven-years-old HP Pavilion DV5 1102EL is as noisy as a damn spaceship in his taking off: it is almost impossible for me to use to it in a library or during classes.
The temperature range for the CPU - AMD Turion X2 RM-72 - goes from 60° to 90°, while the MB is usually around 70°. The HD - a Samsung SSD - and the graphic card - Radeon HD3400 - usually reach 40° but nothing more.

By now, I tried:
- Opening up the whole thing, clean it and replace thermal paste. I did notice a slight improvement, but nothing special.
- Using a cooling base for laptops: the thing did work, but it was as noisy as the laptop, so practically useless in terms of noise reduction.

Now I'm trying to use SpeedFan to keep the temps down, but I really don't know how to set the software so that it won't be harmfull for the PC. Can you guys help me?

andrew_berge

Honorable
Apr 29, 2013
Speedfan can set your fan speed:
Set it higher, your laptop will be cooler, but noisier.
Set it lower, your laptop runs even hotter than it does now, but quieter.

Neither of these look good.
You say you cleaned it, does that include clearing all the dust out of the fans with compressed air?

melampo_

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

Yep, done this, done that: I completely dismantled the laptop (This particular HP is one of the toughest to disassemble, look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpCJzdWxEbQ), then I use compressed air to clean everything and finally I applied new thermal past