The Special Keyboard for Chrome OS Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

compton

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Congrats, it doesn't look terrible. It could be a Belgian keyboard, or embedded with broken glass. But it isn't. Nice.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Poor position choice for the search key - should have placed it where Windows and Mac keys reside for consistency - between left Ctrl and Alt keys.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
[citation][nom]agnickolov[/nom]Poor position choice for the search key - should have placed it where Windows and Mac keys reside for consistency - between left Ctrl and Alt keys.[/citation]

Oh, by the contrary IMO. I hate pressing CAPS when trying to hit shift or tab with the little finger.

That's a +1 feature indeed... At least for me :p

Now, removing the F keys... That's a little more serious for me. I won't be able to live without F4 and F5 8(

Cheers!

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Keyboards should be standard, regardless of the OS. I'd like to hear a Google engineer explain what is wrong with current keyboards and how this design is better.

onyx_64

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
[citation][nom]Yuka[/nom]Oh, by the contrary IMO. I hate pressing CAPS when trying to hit shift or tab with the little finger.That's a +1 feature indeed... At least for me Now, removing the F keys... That's a little more serious for me. I won't be able to live without F4 and F5 8(Cheers![/citation]
Well, now you'll be hitting the Search key instead! ;)

amk09

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Keyboards should be standard, regardless of the OS. I'd like to hear a Google engineer explain what is wrong with current keyboards and how this design is better.[/citation]

I disagree, if you've used several different brands of laptops you will notice some differ from others.

There is nothing wrong with making things more convenient, and I believe this keyboard design has done it, especially for the netbook user. They have less space for keys, so removing unneeded ones provides for a better overall experience.

willgart

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
because its google. they focus too much on the search part.
This big button will cause a lot of trouble! the position is really bad.
but the idea is good.
where the function keys? no help? no search? no shotcut available?
what about games? these F keys are usefull!
Also why no shotcut for emails? and other type of apps? (like youtube ;))

They only focus on using google search... bad... at least I hope that I can start Bing instead-of Google ;-)

schizz69

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]willgart[/nom]because its google. they focus too much on the search part.This big button will cause a lot of trouble! the position is really bad.but the idea is good.where the function keys? no help? no search? no shotcut available?what about games? these F keys are usefull!Also why no shotcut for emails? and other type of apps? (like youtube )They only focus on using google search... bad... at least I hope that I can start Bing instead-of Google ;-)[/citation]

Well, the thing you are forgetting is that this is not designed to run windows, it is for chrome OS. F keys are rather outdated any way, and anyone who wants to write in all caps can go suck a rotten apple (tm)

G

Still when i accidentally press Caps button nothing will go terribly wrong (excluding the cases when I enter my password for the third time).
Now when I accidentally click Caps I think a pop-box will appear or stuff like that. I am sure focus will change from the input field I am in to another one. I don't think Caps button is so necessary either. Caps can be activated by, I don't know, pressing both SHIFT's together...
Search box can be positioned somewhere on a top right part or where F2 button was.
Also personally I like big Enter buttons. Otherwise quite often my messages looks like this\.

What are these three buttons between "back and forward" and "screen light"?

G

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I WANT TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS??

Press Shift key twice, the light (indicator) would light up and that would be the same as Cap Lock. Got it?

fjiekie

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
^+1 i need F6 to quickly navigate in a browser (yes and F5)
and don't tell me that this wouldn't be helpful for an OS that is made for being online...

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
The only time I use the function keys is when windows is screwing up. I wouldn't miss them, waste of keyboard space that should have been removed/changed long ago if you ask me.

iveoles

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
If you look at the pictures there is clearly a 'caps indicator' the shift will function as both shift and caps lock.

Bloody good idea frankly.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]fjiekie[/nom]^+1 i need F6 to quickly navigate in a browser (yes and F5)and don't tell me that this wouldn't be helpful for an OS that is made for being online...[/citation]I agree; if it had F5 and F6 (which it definitely has room for), this would be the best laptop keyboard layout imo.

gh0st

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
[citation][nom]pythy[/nom]WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I WANT TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS??[/citation]
hmmm hit the shift key? isn't that pretty much standard ..global?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS