Question The top row of pixels are displaying along the bottom and I don't know how to fix it

Jan 8, 2021
my laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad - 80yl
I don't know correct terms but I tried to describe everything the best I could, if you need more information, let me know :)

View: https://imgur.com/a/Jjn4LSA

in the image you can see a pink line going along the bottom of my screen 3 or so rows of pixels wide, and if I run my cursor along the top of the monitor you will see the tip moving along that bottom line. I believe it has only happened when viewing videos on chrome.

I can resolve it by resetting the computer. It also sometimes resolves itself by creating a pink, glitchy, rippling affect from the bottom to the top of the monitor until its realigned. however recently it has also gone to a black screen and I would turn the laptop off and on to fix that.

A few months back while my monitor was like this my computer froze and my hdd became corrupted (from my understating). I replaced it with a ssd and I didn't see the line for a few months. however now its back and a worried it is related to whatever caused my original hard drive to become corrupt.

extra info:
If I take a screenshot its not present in the image
the top of the monitor isn't being cut off
Things I have Tried: resetting chrome, new ssd + factory restart, updated drivers.

Reactions: pateljay31324
Feb 13, 2021
Did you find a fix for this? I'm having the exact same problem as you are right now except it's on an MSI laptop. It's also when I play videos in Chrome (I think?)
Thank you :)

Jan 8, 2021
I'm afraid I haven't found a fix. I can say I don't believe my hard drive issue was related to it tho, so you don't have to worry about that happening. If I ever do find a fix, I'll make sure to let you know.

Jan 8, 2021
Did you find a fix for this? I'm having the exact same problem as you are right now except it's on an MSI laptop. It's also when I play videos in Chrome (I think?)
Thank you :)

I think I've found the solution. I turned off both "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" and "Use hardware acceleration when available" in the Systems section in the Chrome settings. I don't know what one is causing the issue but I haven't had any problems the past couple days since turning them off.

Feb 13, 2021
I think I've found the solution. I turned off both "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" and "Use hardware acceleration when available" in the Systems section in the Chrome settings. I don't know what one is causing the issue but I haven't had any problems the past couple days since turning them off.
Thank you so much, I already had my 'continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed' off because it caused me other issues previously, so I assume it was the other option. I'll let you know if I still have the issue again

Mar 2, 2021
have the exact same problem

did this, but the issue has returned. I notice it only happens when i open multiple youtube tabs (once the second tab starts playing video)

Mar 4, 2021
my laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad - 80yl
I don't know correct terms but I tried to describe everything the best I could, if you need more information, let me know :)

View: https://imgur.com/a/Jjn4LSA-mygiftcardsite

in the image you can see a pink line going along the bottom of my screen 3 or so rows of pixels wide, and if I run my cursor along the top of the monitor you will see the tip moving along that bottom line. I believe it has only happened when viewing videos on chrome.

I can resolve it by resetting the computer. It also sometimes resolves itself by creating a pink, glitchy, rippling affect from the bottom to the top of the monitor until its realigned. however recently it has also gone to a black screen and I would turn the laptop off and on to fix that.

A few months back while my monitor was like this my computer froze and my hdd became corrupted (from my understating). I replaced it with a ssd and I didn't see the line for a few months. however now its back and a worried it is related to whatever caused my original hard drive to become corrupt.

extra info:
If I take a screenshot its not present in the image
the top of the monitor isn't being cut off
Things I have Tried: resetting chrome, new ssd + factory restart, updated drivers.

Unplug the monitor from the computer and see if it still does that when not connected to the PC. If it does, it's definitely a hardware issue with the monitor and you can RMA it.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2021
For me it suddenly occurred when I dragged the slider on the side while on a YouTube video. I've been able to get it back by putting the computer to sleep then waking it up , but this might have fixed it for good.

Thanks

Rip... its back

Last edited: