Thermal problem after replacing paste in a laptop

Nov 3, 2018
Hello
So I read other people threads on this issue but I didn't seem to find the answer I was hoping for.
Last night I wanted to install an SSD in the optical bay of my laptop (Asus K556U or X556UR )
specs: intel core i5-7200U with Nvidia 930MX and 6 GB ddr4 ram )(1.5 years old, main use is for premiere pro) CPU would reach 71C max

so I said why not clean the heatsink and check the thermals, when I removed the heat pipe there was this huge mass of paste covering the entire CPU , i cleaned up and used my paste (it's 2 years old as far as I remember, it comes in a small can, we don't have arctic paste or anything fancy here ) now I am getting higher temperatures (i cleaned the old paste using cotton towel then applied the new paste using the pea method )

current thermals 50-55 on standby and 80 on max load
OYmsaCk.png

and this was the compound before I cleaned it up
XxfUkYI.jpg

Lutfij

Splendid
At this point, you're going to have to share the make of that thermal paste. There's a good reason why we suggest using quality thermal paste since your efforts will be rewarded soon after. On another note, did you remember t clean the vents of the heatsink as well as the fan itself off of any dust/debris?

Also make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your laptop's motherboard.

Nov 3, 2018

I cleaned the fan and the heatsink with no problems, but the paste is Chinese made and there is no brand name or anything, so you suggest it's a paste problem? if so how can i make sure ?