Think I was professionally hacked, willing to reinstall windows, but will this guarantee removal

coocoo bananas

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I am pretty sure someone paid to have my system hacked for the info it contained. I am willing to reinstall windows, but is it possible even after doing this, there is still somewhere for the virus to hide? Also. I have two internal drives in raid (1 TB) in raid 0, but backed up. How do i ensure that it is not hiding there? Should I wipe that drive as well and restore using a backup? I have no idea if my backups date back far enough to correct the problem... Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
did you check the computer for a keylogger, or any abnormal usb devices pluged into it? did you check any computer hooked up the network for such things.

as most computers use dynamic ip address hacking a specific person is hard unless they had physical access to computer/computers/network/wifi to determine your ip address at that time to begin with or install software which they later used to connect to your system. even if you have a static ip its still not that easy, more likely they would have done it though physical in room access.

coocoo bananas

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Important business relationship was tanked at the last moment. They appeared to be drawing inferences that were impossible to know without access to a desktop, the inferences were wrong and didn't tell the whole story based on what was on the PC but the fact they drew certain incorrect conclusions based on data on my pc is suspect.

In addition, the email they used was insecure and full of holes, which I had to ignore to gain access to company email.

The computer had been acting funny ever since I started a business relationship with them, plus they admit to using the services of a "high-end" IT person "who can get us anything we want", I just needed to ask for it. I was afraid to ask for the methods used, and quite frankly this resource that was being used scared the krap out of me.

Any more details, we should PM.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Is this computer located in an office or at your residence?

Do you have admin access to your router? If so, do you have logging enabled? Have you looked at your logs for external access attempts?

Have you scanned the system for viruses/malware?

Is it possible that the inferences were just coincidental?

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
did you check the computer for a keylogger, or any abnormal usb devices pluged into it? did you check any computer hooked up the network for such things.

as most computers use dynamic ip address hacking a specific person is hard unless they had physical access to computer/computers/network/wifi to determine your ip address at that time to begin with or install software which they later used to connect to your system. even if you have a static ip its still not that easy, more likely they would have done it though physical in room access.

Solution