Thinking about buying an oled tv

mickfley

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I was gonna buy a new TV earlier but I decided to wait a little bit more after seeing all the magnificent TVs introduced at electronics show. Among them, the one that blew me away was OLED TV. I had never imagined a TV could be that thin. It wows me and makes me wonder at the same time if it has all the features LED TV has like smart tv or 3d ready or is there anything sacrificed for the next generation panel.

ryantlrr

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
I think OLED TVs should have all the functions cuz smart or 3d is not what people might be willing to give up for a better picture quality or an insanely thin panel. I'm pretty sure that LG's is 3D ready. I've seen photos of LG OLED TVs at CES with the sign of 'LG 3D OLED TV' above them but I don't think I've read or seen anything about 3D of Samsung OLED TV. :whistle:

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

This is all true but murder on the English language. They also have better off axis viewing color and insane black levels. The thin panel is nice for mounting and the very slight bezel makes you feel much more into the content.

mspear22

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I visited CES and see the OLED TVs myself. LG OLED TVs were playing 2D and 3D. 3D was the same way of their LED models, passive 3d with polarized glasses. It looked better through OLED panel which seemed to improve 3d picture quality and viewing angle. On the other hand, Samsung didn't show 3D on their OLED TVs. I don't know if they are not 3d capable or Samsung just didn't want their TV to be compared to LG's.

sokangcraft

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

They are but they use active tech so I will take a pass on that extra cross talk and flicker one eye always seeing black. Samsung really did not look ready for production I would be really surprised if they even hit the market by Q2 2013.

kellywilliams0448

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

It’s like Sammy wants to give up its OLED tech because till now, I haven’t heard any news and they promised to release their OLED TV by Q3 this year. I really don’t see that happening. Maybe they’re hiding something from us.

robert1tech

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

They just dumped their LCD business, to focus on Oled TV. RGB Oled TV is still nit up to White Oled TV in power consumption 300% more for white. RGB Oled TV also has to deal with the blue shift in the color gamut making it less true. White Oled TV is better. (Woled is LG)

tedmathew90

Honorable
Feb 16, 2012

I disagree with you, because if you happen to be current with CNET then you’ll notice that LG Electronics and Samsung Electronics were the major players in CES-2012. I was present in Las Vegas when Samsung display their new OLED TV and the slimness was really amazing even though the LG OLED TV was far thinner than that of Samsung.

robert1tech

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

It did not nearly look ready for production, every thinks samsung will have an oled TV; just not in 2012 to market. LG is going to beat them there White Oled TV looks better and uses a lot less power than samsungs RGB oled TV. Samsung has a pretty big up hill battle... I know they are going to have an Oled tv and it will probably be decent just not in 2012 and it will have a lot of competition from LG.

trepxe

Honorable
Feb 14, 2012

I agree. I believe the RGB method Samsung uses is only efficient for mobile displays. When it comes to larger display sizes (TVs), WRGB will be the better technology in almost every category. Read here for some more info.

http://www.gosugadget.com/2012/02/lg-vs-samsung-who-has-better-oled-tv.html

cawills14

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
Hey guys! I have come across many articles and reviews on OLED TV technology, but all keeps talking about beautiful colors, nice contrast, perfect clarity, weightless and super slim. Just to point out that all these features are not new except that these TV Manufacturers are just using new words to cajole consumers. If that’s the case, then I don’t see any difference between OLED TV and LED TV/plasma.

robert1tech

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

Oled is not some marketing thing! Read up the technology. It's perfect black level off axis viewing a way better color reproduction.

LGs should be coming out aug-sep. I have my doubts about Samsung making it to market in 2012.