Thinkpad E565 differences?

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013
HI there ...Can someone help explain the difference between these two units of the Lenovo E565 listed on Amazon -

1) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkPad-E565-20EY-20EY000VUK/dp/B01D4UG66E/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1469917056&sr=1-2&keywords=e565

2) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-E565-15-6-Inch-Laptop-Windows/dp/B0196YC788/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1469917056&sr=1-1&keywords=e565

The latter states a 7200 rpm SSD? I presume it means HDD? It states "up to 16GB DDR3L" - does this mean it has 16GB RAM? It goes on to specify Win 10 Pro with a 1920x1080 display while the former doesn't specify any OS? I wasn't aware the E565 series had a 1900 resolution? Do both have an R5 M330 GPU?

I've asked the seller but they don't seem to have a clue either?

Thank you.

Solution
If you notice the camera, one is a simple lens, the other has a shutter and some more stuff. Eye tracking is mentioned in the description.

You do occasionally see APUs with discrete cards (means you have a backup), and again it is the second one that lists it so just more reason to get that one instead.

I would have to check on the model to see if you can actually add memory. A lot of cheaper and newer ultrabooks are starting to remove that capability.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
They have the same APU, so identical graphics.

"Up to" 16GB, they list 4GB installed in the same line.

One lists an OS, one does not. Wouldn't take the risk.

Your second laptop there is 'superior' in that it has an improved screen and a faster hard drive. If you note there is a slight difference to the picture of the item, so I believe the second one really does have an improved screen/camera/bezel.

The downside to the improvements, is the APU is not faster and they both only have 4GB of memory. The higher resolution screen will use more battery power generally, and performance will be somewhat reduced.

I can look around for an alternative if you want, though I dislike searching Amazon for computers.

The problem with resellers is that all they know is what was provided and what they paid.

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Thank you for your reply. Much appreciated!

I spoke to the sales team and though they didn;t have concrete info they stated that one comes with a dedicated GPU (788) while the other comes with an integrated GPU like Intel's HD graphics processors? What is the diff in the pictures??

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Thank you very much for the assistance. I'm keen on the thinkpad range for their resale value. Also, i hnestly do not want a DVD drive and intend to replace it with a HDD caddy.

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
If you notice the camera, one is a simple lens, the other has a shutter and some more stuff. Eye tracking is mentioned in the description.

You do occasionally see APUs with discrete cards (means you have a backup), and again it is the second one that lists it so just more reason to get that one instead.

I would have to check on the model to see if you can actually add memory. A lot of cheaper and newer ultrabooks are starting to remove that capability.

Solution

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Thank you very much for your advice. I'd be grateful. Would you say that this is a good price? The price of this laptop just went up from 229 GBP to 249 GBP!!

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
I wouldn't buy it myself, but I do not know what your requirements are. Personally would invest a little more and get something with a little higher quality.

I've had pretty good luck with Lenovo products, they tend to offer the best hardware for the lowest cost. Appearance and usability are somewhat lacking though. Not a fan of their keyboards or trackpads. They use a lot of gimmicks to make their chassis look better, but it comes off as cheap. (My y410p has faux carbon fiber detailing)

I've also had a few Dells. Certainly more support and repair centers throughout the US, not sure about the UK. They tend to be easy to find around college towns in the US.

Quality varies from model to model. A good way to get a decently reliable system is to buy a refurbished business class system and install your own drive. Long as the fan holds out they are pretty good.

These days I would say an ultrabook class Intel chip with an SSD is the minimum. This maximizes the battery runtime of a laptop.

If you want to do more then basic tasks and multimedia playback, then you need a discrete GPU. I also prefer the mobile MQ and HQ processors and not ultrabook class for that desktop like performance.

F1demon

Honorable
Sep 17, 2013

Thank you.