Three More MW2 Developers Leave Infinity Ward

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
[citation][nom]nenito[/nom]Why all the hate on MW2, excuse me if I am ignorant for asking.In my opinion, the campaign is elite, and multiplayer is pretty fun. Can someone please explain? is it a problem with the PC version.note: I own the 360 version.[/citation]

I know definitely that the PC version multi-player is terrible only because they didn't provide dedicated servers for it (but consoles have them). So, you have a lot of cheaters because you don't have an admin to monitor them. So, basically the PC version was castrated because of this.

jonpaul37

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
About time someone grew some balls and did what they believed in as opposed to putting up with coporate bulls%&$. Once a company gets big, the person no longer matters, once it gets huge, even the higher-ups start to not matter anymore. GOOD FOR THEM FOR LEAVING AND STARTING THEIR OWN!

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
Can't wait to see what the first title will be called from Respawn Entertainment. Maybe Star Wars: Dark Forces 3...(LOL, Just wishful thinking)

leafman420

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2009
Good didn't like Call of Duty4: Modern Warfare 2. < and dame that a dumb name come on... can we not make the same game with in 2 years apart.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]shadow703793[/nom]EA is no better.What I want: All these devs to start their own company.[/citation]

That's what the talent needs to do in a lot of businesses, e.g.- music industry.

Too many top-enders sitting back in plush offices while the talent are made to slave away to pay for it.

Time for talent to take over, boot out the suits, and make industry about innovation, creativity, and success.

Thumbs up to those guys for leaving Activision.

jcknouse

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]vic20[/nom]I'm sure they are heading to the new studio, aptly named Respawn. I'm no EA fan, for destroying Origin and Westwood, but IMO they seem to be taking more of a hands off position lately. I was sure they would ruin Bioware, but I was dead wrong there. Developers need funds, marketing and distribution so as long as EA sticks to just that I'm hopeful. But if EA goes back to their old ways of pushing ridiculous deadlines or shuffling and breaking apart teams to work on games they don't want to make god help them.[/citation]
Yeah. Ubisoft did that too to some studios, e.g.- Wolfpack.

Hope EA has learned from the follies of others too.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
nenito:
I would not say I "hate" MW2. It is just that the game to me is very disappointing compared to MW1 and COD 1 or 2. I am talking about the PC version.
Disappointment one is the lack of dedicated servers as mentioned and also that less people can play on a map than in MW 1. I got to level 55 in MW1, but barely played MW2 multiplayer. In fact, if I wanted to play multiplayer now, I would still go back to MW1 and I own WAW and MW2 also.
Disappointment 2 to me was that even the single player campaign in MW2 was not nearly as good storywise as in MW1. It just seemed like a bunch of intense action segments strung together instead of a cohesive story like in the first game. For instance, the part where they took over the sub. How did they get just 1 missle lauched, and how did they get off?? Who knows. To me the entire story of MW2 was full of plot holes.
Finally, it did not help that the game was hyped so much and cost 10.00 more for the pc version than any games before it.

onekill

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Were they the good developers? If not, See ya! They need to get rid of the crappy developers and work on making there games better (MW2 was the worst COD i have ever played minus the Co-Op which was pretty fun. Online is horrible and so was the single player)

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
[citation][nom]digiex[/nom]That's called Team Work...[/citation]

Yes, but those decisions should be left up to the developer, not the publisher. They don't do this with books for a reason.

Can you imagine if Bloomsbury Publishing told J.K. Rowling she was being moved to write a new Halo novel and a new Dark Tower (instead of Steven King) due six months from now and the new kid they discovered on MySpace was going to finish Harry Potter?

G

This reminds me of when Rare started making games for the Xbox; All the good devs formed Free Radical Design, which is now owned by Crytek.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]climber[/nom]Ok, sort of related, but since I've never played Modern Warfare, is there anyone out there as old as me that when you see, "MW#" mentioned you think first "Mech Warrior"? Man I wish Mech Warrior 5 was going to happen.[/citation]

www.smithandtinker.com , Mechwarrior series is getting rebooted, for a fan of Mechwarrior you've been living under a rock eh?

ovidiusx

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]nenito[/nom]Why all the hate on MW2, excuse me if I am ignorant for asking.In my opinion, the campaign is elite, and multiplayer is pretty fun. Can someone please explain? is it a problem with the PC version.note: I own the 360 version.[/citation]

I have the 360 version. I though the campain was overrated with a only a few shining moments. The multiplayer was a disgrace. Ever two maps everyone would have to reconnect due to the host dropping out. I stopped playing for a while and tried to get back into it but i saw that nothing had changed. I was very dissapointed with MW2. I am glad I didn't get it on the PC. I would have felt like it was a waste of the hardwares lifespan.

kooltime

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Bad bad bad - day in the gaming world, shame on activision had to do that, no we lose any chance for the series to continue.

Let us CRY in remberance as we have seen the last days of COD and MW series gone with the wind.

Well infinity ward greed sold out to AV, along with the copywrites, so they deserve to be fired. Think sell your game to them and they will keep you around forever all nice n pretty once you completed the developement life cycle ??

They wont fund any new poject those were just lies to get you to make the sale its business Infinity ward dip sticks sold out, so they are now gone, happens to every software development cycle in business now adays.

Blizzard is next on activision chopping blocks, once they find loop holes to destroy that realm of games as well since they partnered a while back.

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
Activision, EA, and Steam are all useless. Activision and EA screws its customers over and Steam does not allow the resale of game(yeah, I know there is not a large market for used PC games, but I want the right to be able to sell or give it away). All companies, today, have pretty harsh downsides.

If Steam changes their policy on selling or giving away games I no longer play, then I would definitely back it. Until then, I will just stay away from gaming in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.