Time Warner Now Streams TV to PC, Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
This is a pathetic ISP. Time Warner service is terrible. They block internet sites that stream TV content for free, such as ESPN 3, and then offer the service themselves, only if you subscribe for their premium TV packages.

fuxxnuts

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Kevin Parrish, Please do your homework before announcing such a service as "news worthy". Maybe worthy to a lemming....

mchuf

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2010
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Dish Network has had web based VCR scheduling for at least a couple of years now.[/citation]
And with the Sling Adaptor (was free after $99 rebate card and now $30 straight up), you can stream all your recordings as well as live tv to a pc or iPad.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
This is nothing but a service just like one we have in the telecom I work for, for years now.
It's important to notice that these channels are licensed for use by many ISPs and they are not their own property. As you know, channels want a cut from those users too.
And even debating those issues for years, still not all of them are available. In other hand some producers have more willingness to provide content like Fox for instance.
We've provided in our latest products video on demand too which means probably TWC will rather sooner than later follow suit.
So just take it as a step forward in the way for making content more accessible.
As for price, we made it as a premium subscribers free additional service for starting (like beta testing) and later payed service but for a reasonable price. So I feel you don't need to worry about that too because if it gets priced too high, people will just use it as a trial and leave. No company can sustain such an investment, partnerships and have no one to charge.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Sounds like a perfect service for iCrappies. Pay for something that can be gotten for free somewhere else.[/citation]
I think you meant to say "stolen somewhere else"?

DaddyW123

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
More cable companies need to introduce/switch to online streaming only for their TV content. That way if I have Verizon Fios at home (which I do) I could order Time Warner online TV (which isn't available anywhere near my area).

This would promote even more competition between service providers so that companies that don't normally compete with each other due to geographic availability are now forced to.

And the services would really be Hulu or Netflix like, only with all the goodies you can only get from the cable company. Every household would only have some sort of reasonable data line (Fios, Cable internet, 4G - though DSL may be too slow), and get all of their television streamed to them.

wifiwolf

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
@DaddyW123

That would be one good reason for a provider not to do it. Obviously for it's own benefit.

On the other hand, i prefer online tv at home as it enables using it wirelessly without set top box in my bedroom.

jaber2

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
I use dish for tv and tw for internet, I have been able to watch streaming dish shows on internet, now if I can get my dish to brows the internet I would be golden :)

oxiide

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2011
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]iCrappies[/citation]
I happen to agree with you but jesus, "iCrappies" is what you came up with? That's some classic middle school wit. Might as well resort to "Tim Cook is a big doo-doo face!"

G

I have a Samsung 61in. Ultra slim/full HD/3HDMI/3Dready/NEOstreaming/wireless/routed. I watch Nettled on my TV.Games too but I can't get Internet on my Tv. I'm w/Time warner. Oh, my Internet is on my kindle fire and with the right equipment, which I believe I have, I should be able to connect through Tv. Any helpful suggestion. I'm retired and a big Sports fan. Help! John Tx.

Status
Not open for further replies.