Tips for Tweaking Your Graphics Performance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

You get paid to write useless crap like this? So let me summarize what took you 13 pictures in 3 words: Overclock, Test, Enjoy.

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
Helpful tip for anyone interested in extreme overclocking: if you add " -xcl" (minus the quotes, with the space) to the shortcut for the MSI Afterburner program in the "Target" box it'll allow you to go past the stock limits in Catalyst Control Center.

For example, on my Radeon 6950 it allows me to reach a maximum core clock of 1305 MHz and 1625 MHz clock speed on the memory (stock is 900/1350MHz). A big bonus is that this tweak works on HD 7XXX series cards and also allows for lower than stock clocks as well which makes the tweak perfect for low resource bitcoin mining.

JJ1217

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I think GPU TWEAK would be much better with a OSD like MSI Afterburner. Its basically the same thing if they add that, except GPU TWEAK is much more friendly for changing voltages.

G

I'm failing to see how this list of overclocking utilities could be helpful to anyone. I know that I can overclock with the program that installs automatically with my drivers, but what if I want to use Afterburner instead? Catalyst starts with windows by default, so do I need to disable catalyst before using Afterburner, or do they play nice together? What's a safe procedure for increasing core voltage, and when is that even necessary? I've got a Radeon HD 7950, a card that is supposed to have great OC potential, but as soon as I try a relatively conservative OC (i.e. 7970 reference specs) I've got to switch it back because it makes my system so unstable. The same thing would happen with my 4870. I'm not ruling out user error, but I'd like to get a general idea of what I'm doing wrong. A freaking list of apps isn't going to get anyone closer to doing a proper overclock.

G

What about Nvidia Inspector? Great for tweaking specific filters and driver settings. It gives you a lot more options than what is included in nVidia's GPU drivers.

Kudos for including FRAPS. I love that tool.

jdwii

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Wow i thought this article was going to be cool, then i hear things that everyone knows. I wanted to see an article that talked about visual settings in a game and how much of an performance hit you get when you enable it and is it worth it on lower-end cards(the ones that need the extra FPS)

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I don't like this new format for articles... low content, lots of pages. Long text driven articles are demanding, but this type of article pulls away from why I come here... unless I have merely misunderstood the article classifications and the little arrow indicated a level of mastery.

Twoboxer

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2008
Disappointing from Tom's. A pictorial list of overclocking and benchmarking software. No tips. Just an excuse for 13 clicks on adverts.

Status
Not open for further replies.