Tipster Dupes Journalists with Fake Xbox 720 Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
There is nothing wrong with reporting rumors so long as they are listed as being just that; a rumor. It's usually plastered in the headline that it is only a rumor, and anyone who really cares about the topic would have an idea after one article whether or not they are likely to hear facts any time soon. If you don't want to read about something, it's very easy to just not click on it. Now if we're talking about rumors being reported as facts, that IS a problem, but it sounds like this was some guy who is tired of clicking on links to stories reporting rumors, and decided to deal with it in a juvenile way. We talk all the time about the freedom of information on the internet and free speech, but the other side of it is trust that people don't go about spreading patently false info. This wasn't the case of some random info pulled out of a dark corner somewhere - he went out of his way to directly contact these people and lie saying he worked for MSFT. If he didn't like the rumors, then he had an easy fix - stop clicking on every story about the new Xbox or PS4 until E3 in June. Problem solved.

shikamaru31789

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
Interestingly, the anonymous tipster behind this hoax says he and most gamers are sick of hearing rumors and unverified information.
I'm fine with rumors because I'm smart enough to take them with a pinch of salt. It's fun to speculate on the specs of upcomming hardware. Nearly all of the sites that reported on this leak noted that it was a rumor and was unconfirmed, so I have no problem with them reporting on it. The fake tipster has no business speaking for all gaming fans by saying we're all sick of unconfirmed rumors. Smart people know that all we'll have is rumors until Microsoft and Sony are good and ready to officially unveil their consoles at a hyped up event.

mugiebahar

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2010
Fact checking? Are you insane what will Fox News and Fox in general do? You really want them to check facts on top of fabricating them? You know how much work that is, they won't have the time to do both. And personally I love a watching people drummer then me on TV. And that is a hard objective to find people drummer, lol.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Microsoft basically gave up on gaining, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the next Xbox was just a DVR that can also play games. That's that I really do hope they try them at least pushing to get some DirectX 11 elements into the console, like tessellation, if they just managed to get that as a standard feature in the console PC gaming will have something to be happy about, because the console can always use a lower and tessellation map while the PC could use a far higher one, take a look at an old Nvidia tessellation demo where they basically had a 30 polygon model that they had transform into something as a few thousand. Just imaginative maybe the console got 1000 but the PC got 5000.

That's really my only hope for this console generation is they put features into it that need to be put on the PC games. Because I already know that 3-D models are already modeled in the million polygon range and are scaled back for a real-time play, at least with main characters and such.

madjimms

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
[citation][nom]dozerman[/nom]Yup. Just like the fact that an assault rifle was never used at Sandy Hook.[/citation]
I don't think your comment fits in at all actually.. Maybe post it on a political/news website?

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Since Microsoft or Sony have offered no details of their up coming system, everything you here is hearsay and Rumor so take it with a grain of Salt. I won't believe anything till i actual see the box spec's in my Hands, and i still may have to lool twice to believe it.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]hakesterman[/nom]Since Microsoft or Sony have offered no details of their up coming system, everything you here is hearsay and Rumor so take it with a grain of Salt. I won't believe anything till i actual see the box spec's in my Hands, and i still may have to lool twice to believe it.[/citation]
Microsoft's been showing off they want to do with the Xbox for last three E3's

Apparently they're done with gaming and just want the damn thing to be a DVR with streaming capabilities. They want to be a cable over the Internet service.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
Microsoft's been showing off they want to do with the Xbox for last three E3's

" Apparently they're done with gaming and just want the damn thing to be a DVR with streaming capabilities. They want to be a cable over the Internet service. " ----------------

I was referring to Hardware Spec's not Features, pay attention!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I agree with the poster above that in general, there is too much misinformation being passed around thanks to internet copypaste journalism. Rumor milling in this case isn't so bad. Maybe Microsoft is reading those responses and using them as actual feedback. Maybe they ARE the ones that let these rumors slip so they can get opinions on them. What's really the issue is that the reader does not have the sense to separate reality from rumor and treats it as fact. There is also the fact that there are different degrees of rumor. The journalist should not only say "this is a rumor" but that it is an unconfirmed source with no verification or reliability. Then again, they wouldn't get a lot of hits with that tagline, would they?

Status
Not open for further replies.