G

I compiled one
and it took me 17 hours
i mean i had it going solid but i was using my pc as well
icq, word, adobe, and watching vids

but it took me 17 hours
with a duron 800
128 pc-133

was this a long long time for me or pretty good?

G

ive done it in 6 hrs...thats while serving a 5 computer network

usually takes about 7 hrs cos im using my puter as well

duron 800@1016
256 megs pc133
abit kt7

so yeah, your time sucks.....my k6-2 does 'em in about 15 hrs :)

run it with the graphics off...the slow it down sooooo much. the best way though, is to go with the DOS client, its much faster. your computer could be getting sub 7 hour times...

some ppl have tweaked the client so it runs even faster, getting down to about 5 hrs but im too lazy for that :)

good luck!

p.s. JOIN TEAM SERIOUS SAM and hot sexy international models will appear at your door demanding sex.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: cape does not enable user to fly.

JoeHead

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've had some take that long but generally 9 hrs or so. Plus if you really were using your PC (it's a crime, call the SETI police he's using his PC!!!!) that much it will obviously slow it down.

BTW if using GUI turn off the screen saver. Hell use the commond line and SETI driver and cache your units for down time like last week. I still don't have my work PC running yet. Ran out on teh 10 WU's and took a snow day today and maybe tomorrow too. Please don't lock me up SETI!!! I'm upping my cache to at least 25 from now on!!! Please Please!!!

<b><A HREF="http://www.seti.tomshardware.com/" target="_new">How fast is your PC</A></b>

G

hey i need some advice here, i must be going seriously wrong cos mine take +- 35 hours on an athlon classic @ 600

are you using the latest seti 3.03 (which is much slower but does additional pattern matching), if you are then my machines are running like dogs. i tried my pentium 2 @350 at work and that is taking about 76 HOURS per unit.

can you refer me to info on the command line interface , i will try running seti permanently in the background and making my screen saver blank screen to see how much that helps. i would like to run all three of my home machines but don't quite know how to share the work between them, any advice appreciated

ledzepp98

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what's the big deal with SETI? people go crazy with it and install it on every computer they can get their hands on. some people even set up old computers just to run seti. i do have the program and i do run it sometimes but i don't see what the big deal is (same thing with rc5)

G

ledzepp.....its the same thing with anything. for some ppl seti is more interesting than for others. there is an endless amount of these things. skiing, computers, cars....the list is endless. other ppl think differently to you.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: cape does not enable user to fly.

owais

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Holy Smokes, My PIII at school does one unit in over 2 days. Im running the latest version. Anyone have any more advices?
1) run the dos version right or
2) Turn off screen saver right?
Anything else??

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
Hi,

Command line is simple - download the exe and click it.

It will ask you if you are new user or already working. Simply put, just add the same email address for each PC you run it on - all the totals get added to your total.

With NT/2K you can run it in the background - once it has run, the config is in it's directory. you can strt and stop as you please. I use the 2K scheduler to start my client a boot time.

If your are not connected to the 'net 24x7 don't forget to use SETI driver that will cache your WUs in advance.

Each instance of SETI will crunch a new WU, so if you have 3 x 1Ghz PCs youll return 3 WUs/5hr (or so).

Good luck,

Pete.

-Your Comany Names Could Be Here-
e-mail for application details.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
btw - 37hrs is ridiculous. I have a P-Pro 200 with 112Mb memory clearing a WU/27hrs - screensavers are the usual killer...

-Your Comany Names Could Be Here-
e-mail for application details.

Lowlypawn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My moms computer was taking over 25 hours on a PIII733. The problem was the monitor would turn off but the box for go to blank screen was never checked. This affects performance big time. The command line with setispy and seti driver is really the way to go.
Cya

<font color=green>Paranoia is just a higher awareness of reality.</font color=green>