toshiba laptop satellite win 7 screen surges normal to obscured with columns of lines

Mar 29, 2018
My Toshiba satellite laptop Win 7 screen pulses back and forth between a normal screen and an obscured one with green and pink vertical columns of horizontal lines.It is doing it constantly in about 2 second intervals. When the screen looks normal I have complete function. When obscured I can hold down the enter button and it won't respond until I see a clear screen again.The most obvious issue is that it pulses constantly at about 2 second intervals.Almost like when I Was a kid and the neighbors electric fence would cause surges of static on a radio when the fence had a short....Constant and at a set interval...
For instance while I am writing this post if I scroll through the body of post while it is obscured I can see the writing in black move up or down as it should but while pulsing I see a stationary ( GREEN ) copy underneath that doesn't move until it quits pulsing then all is in black as normal...

Solution
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.
Try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Solution
Mar 29, 2018
I did all the steps mentioned by WEBWORKINGS and I can see an external display fine. I ordered a new cable and screen will post the results when I change them out........
Changed the cable and screen out and it now works like new....Thanks for the direction