Toshiba NB505 needs hard drive & windows reset to factory default (0,F1,F8 does not work)

gratefulred

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Hi. I have a Toshiba NB505 Netbook that I need to clear everything off the harddrive and delete windows. Lots of virus issues. Today I was told that is what need to be done but currently do not have the $125.00 the local shop is asking. I have tried tapping zero, f1, f8, with no luck at bringing up the System Utility Screen. There is a System Restore area I can get to but there are no restore dates, so I added one named "factory default" not realizing it was making a restore date of today. It won't let me put in a date, only words.
Can someone help?
I have been all over the internet trying what I found. Not much is geared directly to the NB505 netbook.
Angie

Solution
What version of Windows are you running? I am guessing the device came with 7, but you may have upgraded.

If you are using 10 at present, you can try the following to see if it will work for you.

First... get it ready...

1. Back up any files you want to keep.
2. Save all your software serial numbers. If you plan to install any of them in another computer, you will need that information.
3. Download any drivers. While Windows 10 will usually detect all hardware, errors happen.

Option 1... Reset the computer...

Windows 10 actually has a built-in method for wiping your PC, and restoring it to an ‘as new’ state. You can choose to preserve just your personal files or to have it erase everything.

To do this go to "Start", then "Settings". Next choose "Update & security" and then "Recovery" Here click "Get started" and select the option you wish to use. From here just follow the on-screen instructions to restore Windows 10 back to how it was upon leaving the factory.

Option 2... Securely format the computer...

If you’re selling, or giving way, your computer to someone else, then it is better to securely erase the hard drive, before reinstalling Windows 10. This will prevent any old data from being recovered. This, however, is a bit more work.

Also, if you don’t have a Windows 10 install disc or USB of some sort, you will need one.

Now there is are programs you can download to erase the drive completely. One common one is DBAN (Darik Boot And Nuke). You would need to download it and then burn it to a cd or USB.

Then when you are ready, boot your computer up using the DBAN disc or USB, and hit "Enter".

When the main DBAN screen appears, use the "J" and "K" keys to highlight the hard drive partition you want to erase (if there is more than one that is) and select it by pressing the "Space bar".

Then, when you are ready to proceed and erase the hard drive, press the "F10" key to begin the secure erase. This will take some time and the process cannot be interrupted.

When the secure erase has finished, and you see a ‘Blancco’ ad, eject the DBAN disc/disconnect the USB and reset your computer.

Now reinstall Windows and you should be good.

gratefulred

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Hi. I'm using Windows 7 that it came with. Thank you for all the detail.

In 7 you can do the following...

1. Go to "Start" and in the search box type "Backup".
2. In the list of items that shows up, click on "Backup and Restore".
3. In this new window, scroll down to the bottom and click on the "Recover system settings or your computer" link.
4. Now click on the "Advanced recover methods" link.
5. There are two options to choose from, the one you would want to click is "Return your computer to factory condition".

gratefulred

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Thank you for reply. I am at the last step and there is no "return your computer to factory" option. My two options s are : 1. Use a system image you created earlier to recover your computer. 2. reinstall Windows requires Windows installation disc. I tried both earlier with no success. Can I just run a huge magnetic over this little notebook and wipe it out? Lol. I only want to use it for shipping labels, it's perfect size for my area. Any other suggestions? Maybe I should try that erase software you mentioned previously?

DeamonSlayer13

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016
its simple...
1. my suggestion would be to create a windows ISO image onto a USB storage device. then if its a Toshiba simply power off the computer. then press the power button and rapidly press the F2 button with the USB that has the windows ISO image. then scroll over to boot options with the arrow keys and there should be a USB option in there. set it as the default. afterward scroll over to the last bar where it should say "save changes and exit" click enter when you have highlighted this button in blue. next, it should start to boot from the USB that you have inserted. in this case windows, 10 works the best. it will start setting it up so depending on the speed of your computer. times may vary. this will also create a file folder labeled "old windows" that will have all of your important backed up files from the last backup you did. but it will not keep the viruses due to the fact that you are downloading a clean version of windows 10. so no bloatware no nothing. just the default version of windows. hope this helped!

Link For Windows 10 ISO Creator: http://

gratefulred

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
Gosh your detail is perfect and easy to follow, I just wish my computer would listen. Trying to create the System Image, I got an error "The Backup Failed: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed. (0x8007045A)
Any more advice - Ill happily take it, or is the big magnet still an option? LOL

DeamonSlayer13

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

you dont actually need to back up the computer. at certain times your computer will create hidden backups. is this error popping up when you are using the ISO tool? if it is. you might have to try and create a backup through the app on your computer. just go to start and type in backup. then from the "backup and restore" you should be able to create a backup from today or whenever you do this. then retry the ISO creating process. usually the tool requires a backup just in case the computer fails during the reset process from the USB. that is very rare though. i have reset over 5 computers using this method so you should be fine if you try this.

gratefulred

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
I just saw your recent reply. I'm following your steps to the letter. I get the DSL error when attempting to create a system image copy to my thumb drive. A few days ago when I first sent out this question, the computer would not let me do the reset until I had the "system Image" which is what sent me back to the " Back Up and Restore" section to make a copy available for when I try to reset.
How do I reset my computer without having a system image copy?

Just now I went to "restore this computer to an earlier point in time" option under control panel>recovery. Clicked restore , the System Restore option starts initializing, then says Restore complete and it restarts my computer. When I commuted reboots, the box comes up to say Restore Complete to the Dec 23 date, which is the only date it allows to retire back to.
Then I return to Backup & Restore, where it says "windows could not find a backup for this computer" so I click on Create a Stem Image, it starts looking for backupndevices....It finds my thumb drive, click Next, Confirm Settings box, then I click "Start Backup", ...That's when I get the DDL error message.

DeamonSlayer13

Commendable
Sep 17, 2016

ok try to download the software for creating it. heres the link: http://

its the http writing. this will create the iso without the error. then refollow the steps rom my first post and it should get you there

ill make a youtube video explaining it if you cant figure it out

Solution