Toshiba Satellite laptop doesn't turn on and has blinking orange light

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlleeds

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014
I was doing a hard drive scan with AVG and my laptop screen went black. Now it won't turn on and it flashes and orange light. Help! Laptop isn't even 6 months old!

te100

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2004
Try a reset...

1. Remove battery, and disconnect mains adapter.

2. Press and hold down power ON button for 30secs at least.

3. Put the battery back.

4. Plug in mains adapter then Power ON as normal.

mlleeds

Estimable
Oct 25, 2014
Ok, I tried the steps you state above and nothing has changed - still doesn't turn on and orange light blinks 4 times then nothing else. Any other suggestions/ideas?

sirstinky

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Were you running it on the battery when you were scanning? If so were you paying attention to the battery level? Usually it will give you a warning if the battery is getting too low (a flashing icon, Windows alert, etc.) and it's on the verge of shutting down. It is possible that the adapter could have gone bad. A battery problem won't cause that if it's plugged into the adapter. it will keep running with the battery completely flat. If it's a problem with the adapter, it will be lights out until you replace the adapter. On the plus side, they're cheap!

ellabeepr

Estimable
Apr 20, 2015
I have the L655-S5150.

I turned on the computer with the AC only. When I got to the home screen I pressed the power button for 30 seconds. This reset or power off the computer. Then I added the battery and now it is charging. No more blinking orange light.

It seemed like all this time my computer was always turn off completely so it could properly charge.

MJM123

Estimable
May 16, 2015

Had the same problem. I installed the latest version of BIOS from 2008 to 2011. Problem is gone.

graemekeatley

Estimable
Sep 16, 2015
I realise this is an old topic however wanted to add some info for reference purposes. I had a customer bring their laptop in with same type of fault the issue on hers was she was using a universal power supply and the voltage was set to 18 instead of 19 switching to correct voltage resolved my issue

woodlm64

Estimable
Dec 26, 2015
Was in the middle of installing bios to ver 2.3 when laptop shut down and got orange flashing light. Tried steps above and now all lights are white, but screen is black (no video) and sounds like it's trying to boot. Fan is running when turned on. What else should I try?

Lorimommy3

Commendable
Feb 25, 2016

How do you change the voltage?

mi-net

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015

I believe graemekeatley was referring to a universal charger. The original one doesn't have a voltage regulator.

I want to share my personal experience. Replacing the charger didn't work for me (tried 2 different universal chargers)
Resetting the laptop (power button for 30s without battery or charger plugged) neither.

So I looked in the power jack (on the laptop) and saw a lot of oxidation and "dirt".
Also the jack itself internally, has a central pin, and around there is a tiny clip that makes contact with the exterior of the charger plug. I took a very thin screwdriver and tried to pull that clip as near to the center pin that I could.

By doing that I improved the electric comunication and solved my problem.

REMEMBER to REMOVE the battery before and press power button to release all residual eletricity.

Hope I help someone out.

Best of luck

G

You were right! Thank you, Mi-net!
Now, the P.C. does open, however, I get the PXE message while booting, and cannot login, even when choosing default boot. Do you have any idea as to how one may solve or bypass it?

mi-net

Estimable
Dec 22, 2015
The PXE message may be because it doesn't detect the HDD or the bootloader is corrupt. After several power failures it's usual for that to happen.

You can try accessing the disk externally, if you got the tools to, or try and boot from a usb pen with Windows or a CD, and fix the boot.

If the disk is detected in the bios, it's better news, if not, you may have a fried HDD.

Best of luck.

G

It was an issue related to the Hard Drive. All I had to do, in order to pass that PXE-mof boot message, was to remove the H.D. and reinstall it. So, initially, after solving the power issue, and later the boot problem, the only problem that I have noticed was about the functionality of the laptop, i.e., speed, however, now it works fine! Although, I have gone into a lot of trouble in regards to finding the solution, I am extremely satisfied and relieved with the outcome, because, among other things, it has saved me from attending to a computer repair shop.

Once again, thank you, Mi-net!

Edward_98

Prominent
Mar 4, 2017

I have same problem, Toshiba satellite replaced battery, battery light blinks, will not charge, will not turn on. Old battery in and it come on

Wayne_47

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

its the battery

i took mine out whilst laptop still on charge and it went out

laptop still works fine while constantly plugged into main

Status
Not open for further replies.