Toshiba Satellite laptop won't get past Leading Innovation start-up screen

auroradaniels

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018
Toshiba Satellite laptop won't get past Leading Innovation start-up screen. F2, F8, F12, 0, hard shutdown, battery remove, days of charging all tried and did nothing..... I have read the other forum posts but those suggested solutions don't seem to be doing anything. There is no USB or anything plugged into it. Windows 8.1 on it. Last thing I remember it doing was trying to defrag......Help!

studmoose

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017
Which defragger did you use? I had to reinstall my OS once because I downloaded a low download, average user scored defragger from CNET. I now only choose products that have a high download number and a 'User Score' greater than 4 stars.

If you create a boot disk, can you boot to it?

auroradaniels

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018

Thanks StudMoose,
No disk unfortunately.
I used Avast as I have a subscription to it.....

studmoose

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

When you ran the defrag, was that just routine housekeeping or were you trying to fix a runtime or operational issue? If so, what were you experiencing before the defrag process?

auroradaniels

Prominent
Jan 2, 2018

The laptop was just slowing down so I just ran the housekeeping processes to see if that would help

studmoose

Prominent
Feb 27, 2017

You don't have a boot disk, did you happen to create a Recovery Disk, which is typically a first day action? PS. Any boot disk should work, from any source, you'd just need to bring up a DOS prompt and then you can navigate from there.

Feb 22, 2018
Ive had exactly the same problem. It is stuck on Toshiba Leading Innovation screen, its locked, the three arrows dont even go round, the third arrow is highlighted as though it is locked. Ive pressed everything others have said but nothing works. Ive tried removing battery, I now dont even need to hold down the power button for a few seconds to turn it off, I literally just press it and the laptop goes off. I will try a flash drive boot, see if that works. Like you, my laptop slowed down so I used the built in defrag, windows then did updates when I shut down and its not worked since. At first I go the black screen, now I dont even get that far. The caps and number locks all work, so its not the keyboard thats the problem.