Toshiba Satellite Won't Power Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

grandta13

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
My Toshiba Satellite L635 won't give me any indications of functionality. I left the computer asleep overnight (I do this often without ay problems), but when I attempted to wake it up none of the indicators lit. The system was still asleep with the power indicator blinking at 09:00, though by 10:00 it wouldn't power up. When the battery is critical (7%) and my system sleeps it will generally hold a charge for at least 24-48 hours. I have attempted a 'bare-bones' start-up (with all unnecessary components disconnected [including the internal components such as the monitor and keyboard]).
With the 'bare-bones' setup I attempted first to start it with the battery attached and using the power button, then with the charger and power button, neither worked, I then ran the same test again, but I attempted o short the power button connectors with a pair of stainless-steel scissors; this didn't work either, so I ruled out the power button being an issue.
I don't have proper troubleshooting equipment (another battery and charger) so that may be an issue.

Below I will include all information that may be relevant.

Mfg. date: Sept. 2010
Date of purchase: Dec. 2012
Model: Toshiba Satellite L635-S3030 SYSTEM UNIT
Part # on case: PSK60U-00600| <ES5.0>
Processor: x64 Intel Celeron dual-core

The information below was found on the system board:

On another sticker: insyde
©2013
Insyde H2O ©
AS22

Printed on board w/ outline: BM10-1

There is also a table printed on the board with red dots on certain items. I have recreated the table with Excel. A red highlight means that there is a red dot on that item. The one with the question mark (?) was covered to the extent that I can't be sure of what the number was.
Table-WpjgJet3.1374864660.bmp

I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Don't give away serial numbers. - G

Solution
So you have taken the battery out, disconnected it from the power adapter, held down the power button for 30 seconds and then placed the battery back in and the power adapter and tried powering it on?

lostsurfer

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
So you have taken the battery out, disconnected it from the power adapter, held down the power button for 30 seconds and then placed the battery back in and the power adapter and tried powering it on?

Solution

grandta13

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I will try that as soon as I can, but what exactly is that supposed to do?

lostsurfer

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
What that does is short any electrical charge on the motherboard as well to companents. Its basically discarging the laptop of any power. Give it a shot, I've done it several times with this issue on my tech jobs and it has resolved the issue your describing. But make sure all your compenents are installed, put the laptop back together, sounds like you already took it apart.

grandta13

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I tried that (multiple times, to be sure) and attempted to power up my laptop multiple ways. I saw no results. There were no lights and the fan didn't spin up.

It is worth noting that I used a universal charger set at 19v to charge my laptop. I previously used a universal charger set at 18.5v. The input labeled on my laptop is DC19v 3.24A.

tanksalive

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

On mine, I found out my power adapter was not giving the correct voltage the laptop was looking for. Changed power adapters and runs great! I know this is not a cure all, but I don't see anyone responding with that possibility. EDIT: Sorry, there was one.... LOL

Mac_Stan

Estimable
Apr 5, 2014

My friend's computer (Toshiba Satellite A200 - TR6) would not turn on. I tried your solution and it worked great! Thank you for taking the time to post a solution.
Regards, Stan.

Yuni30

Estimable
May 15, 2014

I have tried that over an over again with my Toshiba Satellite C855-S5308. It didn't work. What should I do then?

Jc1962

Estimable
Aug 14, 2014

lamaison

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014

I had same problem. Followed lotsurfer's advice and miracle of miracles it worked. Thanks, thanks, thanks. I have been fretting over this for a week and was ready to take it to the computer fixit store. Nice site.

paroj

Estimable
Oct 14, 2014

hi., i guess this problem is not yet solved, i have the same problem with my toshiba l850 satellite with a black screen monitor after not shutting down and plugged it out for almost half a day,, i already do the 1-2mins holdin the power button an unplugged power cable and turn it on the for a try, but still it did not your help is much more appreciated, thanks.

pbarsalona

Estimable
Jan 12, 2015
Hi,
Had same problem with my Toshiba laptop after having it shut down since before Christmas; went to Toshiba support onlineand they gave me same info as you Tom - worked (turn off, take battery out, hold power button down, after some time of a grey screen it worked! ) I'm making note of your site Tom for future. But I do have a question: the 3 lights on the outside front I could have sworn one was green; when laptop is off, one blinks white, when on it is a constant white and the one to the right is a shade of orange - is this how it should be - what are the 3 lights on front for?

Lucas Caro Barriga

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
It did work for me as well.
Steps:
1. Disconnect laptop from power cord
2. Take out battery
3. Hold power button for 30 seconds
4. Put battery back
5. Connect to power cord
6. You can see that the orange light is on
7. Press power button to boot up laptop

Garth Wood

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015

Thank you thankyou thankyou thankyou it worked for me after I put to sleep - well appreciated

Biggmizzle

Estimable
Mar 8, 2015

Solution works with my Toshiba Satellite C55-A. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.