Toshiba Tecra M11 running hot. Hard drive fitted is a Hitachi HTS725032A9A360

windows7fan

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Hello All,
I have bought a Toshiba Tecra M11 laptop. the hard fitted is a Hitachi HTS725032A9A360 320GB. I noticed that the laptop is getting very hot. I am running speedfan 4.5.2 and noticed that the hard drive temperature is 56oC, temp 1 was 105oC now running at 88oC, Core 0 92oC Core 1 90oC. I am thinking that I should replace the hard drive with a Samsung ST1000LM024 hard drive as reading on the older posts different computer owner forums that Hitachi drives do get hot. Any advice welcome and yes I know the hard drive a Customer Replacement Unit (CRU) but would changing the hard invalidate my warranty. I have 12 month warranty with a seller where I bought my laptop from (trade) on eBay. Even the mouse pad is hot to touch. At the time of writing

windows7fan

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Sorry Velo3100 I made a mistake I clicked on post an answer under you. The laptop usually overheats with 2 hours of being used. At the moment the hard drive temperature is 35oC and no warning logo (flame) is showing as I have not long just booted up the laptop.

windows7fan

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
velo3100 said:
When does this overheat occur?

Hi Velo3100. The hard drive gets hot within 2hours of the laptop being booted up. At the moment the laptop is 51oC (with the flame symbol) I am starting to wonder if the hard has fault that is causing the laptop to get hot. The side air vent is clean (no dust etc.)

windows7fan

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
The laptop sits on my lap with the bottom air vent uncovered (not blocked). For very light internet use I use google chrome, for offline gaming I play 18 Wheels of Steel American Long Haul, for listening to music I use windows media player, for connecting to the internet via wifi I use Netgear N600 usb wifi stick and for securing my laptop against viruses etc I use Comodo internet security premium (freeware), superantispyware (protection from spyware, Kaspersky Anti-Ransomware Tool for Business and cybereason (protection from ransomware) and zemana antilogger (protection from malware).

It is very likely the security programs are causing your hdd to be active most of the time. This means that it is being used which will cause a lot of heat which will cause the cpu to rise in temps quite quickly. You can try to use a less intensive security program or try using a laptop cooler.