Toshiba TV- lost channels via antenna; digital signal low error msg

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Troubleshooting a Toshiba 19AV500U TV. We do not have cable; just an antenna connected to the cable connector (coax) on the TV. Input is set to "antenna". any other input shows nothing. .

TV was working FINE; we can watch upwards of 20+ local channels via antenna. Suddenly we only get 12 channels. All other 'previous' channels = TV says "digital channel signal strength is low"; but the digital signal strength is actually "good" when I check status. Tried a different antenna hooked to a different TV in the den - same 12 channels; but the TV in the den gets all 20+ channels - so it's Not the antenna(s).

Tried removing all parental controls = no effect. (we weren't using those anyway but . . )

I am thinking someone hit the wrong button on the remote.

any/all ideas greatly appreciated.

Kelly

rgd1101

Don't
http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2815360&isFromTOCLink=false

Page 45
Channel tuning problems
Make sure the remote control is set to the correct device
mode ( page 21).
The channel may be setting to "Not Viewable" by the
Manual Ch Set feature. Please set "Viewable" to
unblock the channel ( page 31).
If you are unable to tune digital channels, check the
antenna configuration ( page 29). If you are still
unable to tune digital channels, clear all channels from
the channel list ( page 31) and reprogram channels
into the channel memory ( page 30).

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Yes, rescanned for channels; tried manual entry, tried all 'input' options, turned off parental controls, no other media connected to tv (e.g. dvd)

kelly

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hey Wolfshadow - thanks for sticking with this. It is a conundrum!

So we have 2 TVs in the house - 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the den. Both have their own antenna hookups - connected to the cable connector on the TVs. The TV in the kitchen just suddenly lost all but 12 channels. They are on two networks: 10-1, 10-2, 10-3, 10-4 (these are the 'public' network (like noaa weather, local PBS etc); then there are 8 channels on 68 (68-1 etc) these are either religion or commercial products (as seen on TV crap).

So - The den TV gets all 20+ channels and has never had a problem. I took the kitchen TV into the den and plugged it into the antenna there, - but no difference - still only 12 channels.

So I'm thinkin' either the digital tuner in the TV went wacko - or we hit something on the remote that has screwed it up. But I've tried just about every button and every setting I can think of.

Does that clarify things??

thanks again

Kelly

Wolfshadw

Splendid
Ok. Yes, that does clear things up. It does sound like the digital tuner of the kitchen TV is going bad. One more question though. When you had the kitchen TV in the den, did you switch antennae and rescan channels for BOTH TVs?

-Wolf sends

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hey Wolfshadow . . ya know . . I plugged the kitchen TV into the antenna in the den (where that TV has not had a problem) . . and I didn't even think to rescan channels! or maybe I did - I don't remember. I had been troubleshooting for > 1 hour already and my little brain skipped a beat. I'll try that - but if it doesn't resolve . . would the "digital signal" meter (detector, monitor - whatever it's called) on the TV still say "good" signal if the digital tuner was failing? that kinda puzzles me

The tv is actually at my Aunt's house - so can't check until Tues.

thanks

kelly

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for your time Wolfshadow - at least it's nice to have another intelligent person brainstorm/troubleshoot with me. Will let you know if I discover anything

Happy Holidays

Kelly

rgd1101

Don't
http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2815360&isFromTOCLink=false

Page 45
Channel tuning problems
Make sure the remote control is set to the correct device
mode ( page 21).
The channel may be setting to "Not Viewable" by the
Manual Ch Set feature. Please set "Viewable" to
unblock the channel ( page 31).
If you are unable to tune digital channels, check the
antenna configuration ( page 29). If you are still
unable to tune digital channels, clear all channels from
the channel list ( page 31) and reprogram channels
into the channel memory ( page 30).