Toshiba TV- lost channels via antenna; digital signal low error msg

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Troubleshooting a Toshiba 19AV500U TV. We do not have cable; just an antenna connected to the cable connector (coax) on the TV. Input is set to "antenna". any other input shows nothing. .

TV was working FINE; we can watch upwards of 20+ local channels via antenna. Suddenly we only get 12 channels. All other 'previous' channels = TV says "digital channel signal strength is low"; but the digital signal strength is actually "good" when I check status. Tried a different antenna hooked to a different TV in the den - same 12 channels; but the TV in the den gets all 20+ channels - so it's Not the antenna(s).

Tried removing all parental controls = no effect. (we weren't using those anyway but . . )

I am thinking someone hit the wrong button on the remote.

any/all ideas greatly appreciated.

Kelly

Solution
http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2815360&isFromTOCLink=false

Page 45
Channel tuning problems
Make sure the remote control is set to the correct device
mode ( page 21).
The channel may be setting to "Not Viewable" by the
Manual Ch Set feature. Please set "Viewable" to
unblock the channel ( page 31).
If you are unable to tune digital channels, check the
antenna configuration ( page 29). If you are still
unable to tune digital channels, clear all channels from
the channel list ( page 31) and reprogram channels
into the channel memory ( page 30).

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hey Wolfshadow - thanks for sticking with this. It is a conundrum!

So we have 2 TVs in the house - 1 in the kitchen and 1 in the den. Both have their own antenna hookups - connected to the cable connector on the TVs. The TV in the kitchen just suddenly lost all but 12 channels. They are on two networks: 10-1, 10-2, 10-3, 10-4 (these are the 'public' network (like noaa weather, local PBS etc); then there are 8 channels on 68 (68-1 etc) these are either religion or commercial products (as seen on TV crap).

So - The den TV gets all 20+ channels and has never had a problem. I took the kitchen TV into the den and plugged it into the antenna there, - but no difference - still only 12 channels.

So I'm thinkin' either the digital tuner in the TV went wacko - or we hit something on the remote that has screwed it up. But I've tried just about every button and every setting I can think of.

Does that clarify things??

thanks again

Kelly

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Hey Wolfshadow . . ya know . . I plugged the kitchen TV into the antenna in the den (where that TV has not had a problem) . . and I didn't even think to rescan channels! or maybe I did - I don't remember. I had been troubleshooting for > 1 hour already and my little brain skipped a beat. I'll try that - but if it doesn't resolve . . would the "digital signal" meter (detector, monitor - whatever it's called) on the TV still say "good" signal if the digital tuner was failing? that kinda puzzles me

The tv is actually at my Aunt's house - so can't check until Tues.

thanks

kelly

hondochica

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Thanks for your time Wolfshadow - at least it's nice to have another intelligent person brainstorm/troubleshoot with me. Will let you know if I discover anything

Happy Holidays

Kelly

rgd1101

Don't
http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=2815360&isFromTOCLink=false

Page 45
Channel tuning problems
Make sure the remote control is set to the correct device
mode ( page 21).
The channel may be setting to "Not Viewable" by the
Manual Ch Set feature. Please set "Viewable" to
unblock the channel ( page 31).
If you are unable to tune digital channels, check the
antenna configuration ( page 29). If you are still
unable to tune digital channels, clear all channels from
the channel list ( page 31) and reprogram channels
into the channel memory ( page 30).