Toshiba won't boot with battery inserted but works fine on AC

mauimills

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
Just received refurbished Toshiba L675D-S7015. Laptop attempts to boot with battery inserted but power shuts off after 3-5 seconds. Laptop runs fine and continues booting into windows with no battery inserted. With laptop running, if I insert battery, laptop shuts off. I then tested the battery in a 2nd Toshiba and it works fine. Any suggestions?

mauimills

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
A faulty motherboard was my first thought also, but I decided to keep troubleshooting. I had another Toshiba laptop so I took the battery out of it and inserted it in the new laptop and the laptop worked. So I thought the original battery must be bad. To test that theory I inserted the new battery in the old laptop. Guess what; it worked. OK, so what's going on? I noticed that the new battery showed only about a 3% charge, so I let it fully charge up in the old laptop. I then inserted the fully charged new battery into the new laptop. Guess what; it worked. So why wouldn't it work originally. I decided that it must have something to do with the AC adapter. I looked at the new AC adapter and it was only 2.37 amps at 19 volts (45 watts). I looked at the old adapter and it was 3.42 amps at 19 volts (65 watts). I finally figured out that the new adapter didn't have enough power to both run the computer and charge a completely dead battery. I checked the spec's and the new laptop (17.3" screen) was supposed to have come with either a 65 or 90 watt AC adapter. I'll talk to the vendor on Monday but I figure they refurbished the laptop and then just threw any old adapter in the box with it. I'm going to make them send me the correct adapter.