Toyota: If Your Car Speeds Up, Keep Driving

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
Can I quote this "Toyota: If Your Car Speeds Up, Keep Driving" if the cop asks why i hit the car in front of me? :)
Seriously hope Toyota can remedy the problem ASAP. I drive a Toyota but fortunately not one of those affected models.

MrKKBB

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]"•

"• Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine."Should this not be considered the first step? In a manual this can be done easily by pushing in the clutch and putting it into neutral. With an automatic I would think it would be more difficult and could cause massive transmission failure that could result in not even being able to get it in neutral."

No, in an automatic, you can shift to N with your gear selector just by pushing down you don't even need to press the button. And no, there won't be a transmission failure. One should always shift to Neutral, put on your hazard lights and break in this case, once you have the car under control and sufficiently slowed -- you can kill the engine if pedal is still stuck.

G

@ ParrDacc...
You seriously have no clue on what your talking about...
All cars a designed to brake even if the gas is full throttle.
who cares if your heat up the discs or pads.. its life or death my friend... I can stop my 220+ HP WRX while giving FULL GAS and applying brake.. I've tested it and its a common technique in track lapping/rally ( its called left foot braking)

Next: Shifting from D to N on a Automatic even while giving gas while cause absolutely NO damage to the transmission because its actually GETTING shifted to neutral.(your removing the load) Doing the opposite.. N to D on full throttle is asking for trouble

And concerning the E-Brake.. THIS WILL NEVER STOP YOU..it will take a very long time to slow you down.. plus if gas is being applied.. don't even think it will slow you down.. not if the car is turned to off... and you try your e-brake.. for a normal person.. its asking for trouble because the rear CAN lock... and if it does.. nto alot of people remember to keep pushing on the e-brake putton to release pressure.. and since you turned the car off.. maybe to even locked the steering if you went pass ACC.. so in other words.. DO NOT TOUCH the e-brake... first thing is getting on the brakes! all these cars have ABS.. so DO NOT PUMP... press the hardest you can..and look in the direction you want to go.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]MrKKBB[/nom][citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]"• "• Shift the transmission gear selector to the Neutral (N) position and use the brakes to make a controlled stop at the side of the road and turn off the engine."Should this not be considered the first step? In a manual this can be done easily by pushing in the clutch and putting it into neutral. With an automatic I would think it would be more difficult and could cause massive transmission failure that could result in not even being able to get it in neutral." No, in an automatic, you can shift to N with your gear selector just by pushing down you don't even need to press the button. And no, there won't be a transmission failure. One should always shift to Neutral, put on your hazard lights and break in this case, once you have the car under control and sufficiently slowed -- you can kill the engine if pedal is still stuck.[/citation]

Okay, good to know. Never owned an automatic in my life as a matter of fact never even driven one. Raised on manuals. Thx for the info.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]Ignorance is bliss i suppose.. The Japanese gave FAIR warning and it was ignored/hidden to give the US a chance to enter the war. If you paid attention in history you'd know they sent a warning of attack before their attack and the US "dropped" the ball if you want to call it that..[/citation]

Most people would rather believe what the Govt. tells them rather than the truth. The US was given warning of Japanese Ships in the Northern Pacific but they did nothing. Now people are ignorant to the fact and claim to know the truth. (Not Kidding)

tsnorquist

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
It's a sad day when people have to be told to "apply pressure to the brake" "turn ignition to acc".... "put car/truck in neutral".

Maybe we should recall drivers in this country and not the cars/trucks.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Scary indeed! Turning off the ignition while the car is accelerating must not be good for the engine... Then again, dying because of a faulty gas pedal would be worse. I wonder how many cocktail parties GM, Ford and Chrysler are holding lately over this news.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Jerky_san[/nom]Ignorance is bliss i suppose.. The Japanese gave FAIR warning and it was ignored/hidden to give the US a chance to enter the war. If you paid attention in history you'd know they sent a warning of attack before their attack and the US "dropped" the ball if you want to call it that..[/citation]

Hey look honey, another one of those "the government is out to get us" types. I'm sure he also thinks our government wanted the nigerian man to blow up that plane last Christmas too. What's that you say honey? You think the vital information got lost in the oversized beuracracy that is our government? That would never happen....

gtvr

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Toyota's quality is NOT what it once was. Reputation takes a while to change, but I think they're headed that way.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jomofro39[/nom]This is payback for Hiroshima. jk, but I had to type it. Sucks for Toyota, they normally do very well in their quality control.[/citation]
Funny, I thought Hiroshima was payback for Pearl Harbor.

Now we just need to pay Michael Bay back for "Pearl Harbor".

barker

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]awaken688[/nom]Especially since many people have died from this issue.[/citation]

?? I thought Toyota said that no one has died from the malfunction that spurred this recall?

A couple years back I was in a Nissan Sentra on the highway that had this same issue, scary when your car takes off with out you hitting the gas. Finally was able to pump the brakes hard enough and get the gas pedal responding before rear ending the car in front of me.
/pantschange

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Heard about this problem a while ago. A few people died already. What I don't understand is why those people just didn't put the car in neutral?

Note to all: If your accelerator is stuck and the car keeps going, take it out of gear. In an automatic, simply slap the stick towards R (it won't get into R) and in a stardard tranny just press the clutch and/or put the car in neutral. Stop on the side of teh road and turn off the engine.

eyemaster

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]...okay. First the gas is stuck and therefore the car still going at speed, so by appling the brakes this would heat those brakes very quickly and possiably burn them out before the car comes to a stop if it actually does, remember the gas pedal is stuck so the car is still wanting to go.".......Correct that the power assist will be lost making for braking and steering diffcult but not impossiable. Most cars I have seen have an emergency brake that is manual and not assisted by anything. Hence "emergency brake". Is this not an emergency?I'm thinking cut the the power to the car by shutting it off, but not locking the wheel, apply emergency brake (even pressure here, just don't yank it up) and bring the car to a stop. Plus since the emergency brake has no power assist to begin with you can pump it (most emergency brakes I have seen are cable operated and as such do not use the brake fluid to apply the brakes) so when, heaven forbid, your in this situation going up down hill, mountains, and/or corners you can pump the emergency brake to help control/navigate the car till it comes to a stop. You bypass the possiablity with applying brakes to car whose gas pedal is stuck and still want to go and burn the brakes out before the car stops and bypass the possiablity of depleting the vacuum utilized for the power brake assist.[/citation]

It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake. The word emergency is not the correct term.

The brake pads and rotors will be good enough to stop you and not overheat. They will only overheat if you ride the brakes, and by that it means if you don't press it hard enough and just let them drag without decelerating. I've only overheated brake pads after 20 minutes at a circuit race track.

Power steering and power brake can be an issue, but less so than an accelerator stuck. What I am worried about is drive by wire cars (no rack and pinion) for the steering wheel, what happens if you turn off the car, can you still turn?

zilnicra

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
[citation][nom]eyemaster[/nom]It's not an emergency brake, it's a parking brake. The word emergency is not the correct term.The brake pads and rotors will be good enough to stop you and not overheat. They will only overheat if you ride the brakes, and by that it means if you don't press it hard enough and just let them drag without decelerating. I've only overheated brake pads after 20 minutes at a circuit race track.Power steering and power brake can be an issue, but less so than an accelerator stuck. What I am worried about is drive by wire cars (no rack and pinion) for the steering wheel, what happens if you turn off the car, can you still turn?[/citation]

your information in incorrect. cars that are "drive by wire" still have the normal steering and braking functions (they are power assisted), only the accelerator is drive by wire, ie there is no mechanical connections from your gas pedal to the throttle system. there are federal regulations requiring your brakes and steeting to have full functionality wihout engine power, thus they CANNOT legally sell a car in this country that doesn't have the mechanical steering and braking functions

G

All these comments about WWII and people seem to forget that the japanese did give warning but it wasn't translated and produced until AFTER the attack. Also, the japanese declared that they would not stop invading china or any other place they wanted to go by telling us "victory or death" so dropping a nuke off the cost somewhere would not be enough to persuade them because they would only accept either victory or death and they were very serious about it at the time, code of bushido and all that. There are so many REAL sources of history about WWII available to us now that we can't even turn on the tv or internet without hearing about it. I'm surprised that any of you commenting here don't know these basic things by now. I guess some of you still can't set the clock on a vcr er uh, dvd player lol.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]10tacle[/nom]First of all, Japan should have thought of that before attacking the US unprovoked 68 years ago. (not kidding)[/citation]

Like the fact that US teamed up with other Western nations and repeatedly put economic blockades around Japan so it would starve? Like denying oil, rubber and food to Japan using the economic blockade?

All this action done by the US and you call it unprovoked? Desperate people do desperate things in desperate situations. The same applies to a country. Mod me down all you want, but I frankly believe the US had sown the seeds of the Pacific War.

Status
Not open for further replies.