Transfer Phone's Wifi (not 4G) to PC using USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boutchoo

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
Hi everyone, I am back and I was asking myself if there was an option to tethered (mobile hotspot) using a Local Wifi (Not 3g/4g/LTE) with a USB cable to my PC.
Why I want to do this is that my Montly Data is 1GB on my phone so I can't use it for Tethering (too low).
Secondly, my Home PC is connected via an Ethernet cable, but the port on my motherboard is broken (physicaly, the wire too) .BUT! The main thing here is that my phone is connected to my Home-Wifi, but I am limited to my phone (phone's battery, keyboard, etc).

What I want to know if it's possible to transfer the Local-Wifi of my phone to my PC using a USB cable, I know it's possible when using the Mobile Data, but why not the ordinary Wifi?

Best Regards,
Boutchoo

CraigN

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
I don't think it's possible to do tethered-WiFi. The ways I have researched doing it on Android suggests some apps might let you, but you likely require root access.

Boutchoo

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012

I have a summer job, ending in 3 weeks the IT knows it and said "I can't change the firewall for you but if you find a way around it's not a problem".
And it's not a Bypass, the IT guy gives me the Guest password every months via Email, I just want to put it on the Computer on lunch time to avoid typing Emails with my Phone's keyboard.
EDIT: I even have Steam Installed on it and use my USB to download games with my "Buisness" internet.

Boutchoo

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012

I have a Galaxy S4 (Oneplus One next week) and I have it Rooted for months now.

USAFRet

Illustrious
"if it's possible to transfer the Wifi of my phone to my PC using a USB cable"

1. No

2. Your employer is blocking Facebook, etc for a reason (misguided or not). Why are you trying to circumvent that?
Where I work, that a fireable offense.

Boutchoo

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012

He's the one who told me to use HTTPS:// and it works with Yahoomail and some pages of Facebook, but it's not a way around or anyting it's just Putting the Wifi on my Phone (which have no firewall) and transfer it to my PC to use the keyboard and mouse (and screen).

Boutchoo

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012

Here, they have a hitler-esque blocking procedures on certain websites that shouldn't be blocked.
That I get fired or not isn't important, just replace "Work" with "Home-PC with a broken Ethernet Port".

USAFRet

Illustrious

"broken Ethernet Port" equals "buy a PCI LAN card"

Hitler-esque or not, what happens when a virus is introduced into the network because someone routed around the firewall?

Boutchoo

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
"broken Ethernet Port" equals "buy a PCI LAN card"
I don't have money for a PCI-E Ethernet adapter and my Mobo is Full (sound card and GPU takes all of the PCI-E ports).
And I don't want to buy a Wifi-USB neither, the reception is bad and it gets Hot.
Hitler-esque or not, what happens when a virus is introduced into the network because someone routed around the firewall?
Wikipedia and other Trusted websites don't have viruses (Never had any in my life-time). And like I said the Main network and Guest are seperated.

USAFRet

Illustrious
And initially you specified yahoomail and Facebook.
If your PC is also connected to the Main network, the network is no longer isolated. You created a bridge across that.

Whichever.
You can't port a WiFi signal through the phone, via USB, into the PC.

Boutchoo

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
But Mobile Data works right? I really Wonder why the Wifi can't but a 4G connection can...

If your PC is also connected to the Main network, the network is no longer isolated. You created a bridge across that.

If I unplug the LAN and access Unlocked Website using the Guest (which have a firewall to for explicit things), then unplug USB and replug LAN the "virus" would be detected by Norton and/or the Firewalls of the Server.

Anyway, thank you for the answer. I will try with my 1GB but I will limit alot of things to not exceed!

Best Regards,
Boutchoo

Boutchoo

Honorable
Feb 11, 2012
USAFRet:
Whichever.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1884263/tethering-phone-internet-data.html

lvangundy:
Actually, I did get this to work as the OP suggested and I am receiving calls and text. But I think that's a matter of the carrier supporting phone/data at the same time. Verizon can't do this, but ATT and TMO can. Another possibility is that since I'm on TMO the phone is using Wi-Fi SIP calling and that's how my calls are coming through.

Somehow I managed to tether with USB (my desktop PC is not near Ethernet cable) and have the phone connect to my house Wifi TW internet. Yes a USB/PCI wifi card would solve this, but it's working now. I was using the TMO data network and using up my tether GB but after turning wifi on and off, or getting a call or something, it started to path through the wi-fi and not the phone network. Maybe I'm mistaken and this is how it operates if a Wi-Fi signal is available, but it would seem to me that the carriers wouldn't want this so they could be for overages (even though my TMO plan doesn't have any).

Short story, OPs request works on TMO and it looks like this.
Cable internet > wifi > phone tethered> USB cable > desktop PC

Status
Not open for further replies.