Patrick_51

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
I ahve a laptop that will not boot because the processor is fried. How can i transfer my files (certain files) from the hardrive to my other laptop? One was a Vista operating system and the new laptop is a Windows 7 system??

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Take the HDD out, and get a SATA/IDE to USB adapter. They are ~$15USD and come with connectors for SATA, IDE, and laptop IDE, as well as the power connectors for everything. Then use it like an external HDD and transfer your files. Also, you could just purchase an external enclosure and then use the drive as an external HDD all the time for backups and documents.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
The odd thing about this is that sometimes the external enclosures are cheaper than just the USB adapter by itself. I bought a reasonbly nice enclosure from newegg for about $10, and noticed that the adapters along were $15 or more.

And BTW, your laptop hard drive is almost certainly a 2.5" drive so if you buy a USB enclosure, buy one for that size drive. It would be a good idea to remove the laptop hard drive first and make sure that whatever you buy is compatible with it. I have 2 laptops and with both of them it is real easy to get the hard drives out. You could search the net and probably find instructions on how to remove the drive from your laptop.