Transistors in Audio Amplifiers

umar.ghauri176

Estimable
Aug 23, 2017
Hello, Guys

How are you.
Actually couple of days back I`ve purchased and amplifier for my 2 JBL subs. GT5-S12s,
275 RMS x2, 1200 PMPO each.

Amp is running on 220 volts with 200 watts power supply.
At back of its panel, it has a pair of 2 speaker terminals for section A and section B.
Like A has pair of speakers terminals.
I`ve connected my 2 subs in section A.
And B also has a pair of 2 speaker terminals as well.
Subs also working fine. Im good with it.

But im curious that I`ve seen, it has a big heat sink having 10 transistors. I want to ask does more transistors means that amp is powerful ?

umar.ghauri176

Estimable
Aug 23, 2017
Hmmm ok.
Also one more thing that I have yamaha amplifier RX-V496.
And i want to connect external sub woofer to it. At rear i have checked it out that there a female rca jack connection of subwoofer output.
so can i connect woofer directly into or it can connect to amp and then to amplifier.

Please help me out. Screenshot attached. http://

What that "subwoofer out" is...it's a mono line level out for your subwoofer. It's good that you have it. It makes things easier.

That gets connected to the input of a powered subwoofer OR the input of an amp that's connected to a subwoofer.

So you can't connect that suboofer out directly to a speaker. It has to go to an amp of some kind. Either an amp in a powered subwoofer or an amp that powers a subwoofer.

umar.ghauri176

Estimable
Aug 23, 2017
Hmmm ok got it. means i cant connect woofer directly to the female connector. amp should be allowed.

Actually the whole case is that I have 2 woofers in one enclosure: http://
JBLs GT5 S12

Impedance: 4 ohms,
Rms power: 275watts
Peak Power: 1200watts PMPO
Size diameter: 12inch.
Freq Response: 23Hz to 450Hz.

Its basically car woofers, one of my friend sold it to me.
so for these 2 woofers I want to run them in home. Here`s in Asia region, I`ve purchased this amp of yamaha rx-v496.

As per shop guy, I`ve connected the 2 woofers to the rear main speaker terminals of this amp http://

I said to him, that bro its WOOFERS then how can i connect them to the main speakers terminals, as main speakers outputs only give speaker frequency signals not low bass frequencies.
He said to me that woofer will give low frequency signals, as they are woofers with hard cones, and 12 inches. so run them.

What do you think is it suitable to run these 2 jbls. ? actually I`ve played several bass boosted songs, I`ve noticed that woofers give bass but also with vocals as well.

The thing is....the way you are running them now...you are sending the entire signal to the subwoofers. Not only are you sending the bass....you are sending all the frequencies.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH DOING THIS.

...but if you don't like it....and only want bass to come out of the subwoofers....you need a filter, or a filtered amp somewhere in that system.

umar.ghauri176

Estimable
Aug 23, 2017
Hmmm right i agree with you. also unfortunately that yamaha rx v496 got issue in it, not working properly.
u know actually I`ve purchased it second hand.

So now purchased Yamaha AVX-700, so what`s your suggestion is it safe to run those 2 jbl 4 ohms woofers on these amp. ?

actually today I tested it, and it runs well.
But noticed that after couple of hours, its heat sink got heated. is it normal or can I put computer fans on it, to suck the heat. ?