TRENDnet Sells 450Mbps Wireless Access Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
I've always used Trendnet routers and been happy with my choice. Tech support was responsive when I had a problem with my old TEW432-BRP and RMA'd it promptly when it turned out to be a bad router. Now I'm using the TEW652-BRP and like it as well. Unfortunately, my laptop only has a draft-N adapter, limiting its wireless speeds to 150 Mbps w/o MIMO. :(

dark_lord69

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
My internet connection can't even max out G (54Mbit/s).
My connection much like the majority of people, runs at 8 Mbit/s (or 1Mbyte/s).

Sometimes if you pay an arm and a leg each month you can buy a connection running at a lofty 30mbit/s and depending on your provider up to 60mbit/s or more.

So, if you are one of the people that pays to have the fastest internet connection available perhaps you CAN max out G. Typically those connections are insanely high priced like about $100 or more a month. If you have that kind of connection go ahead and buy N... Otherwise don't waist you money.

Like I said before I still use G because my ISP can't max it out and I'm unwilling to pay over $100 a month for the "Ultra 60" service.

For the majority of people the only increase in speed they would see would be file transfers from one computer in thier house to the other. Even gaming wouldn't improve because it's not about bandwidth for gaming... It's about latency... So, if latency is what you are concered about then just plug in the wire.

BrightCandle

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Its not uncommon for Wireless G performance to be more like 1 Mbps. The promised speed of Wireless connections has long since known to be regularly below the rated performance, often by a considerable way. A 50Mbps connection is probably going to be limited even by this router occasionally, especially at the sort of ranges in a normal home.

njalterio

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2008
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]My internet connection can't even max out G (54Mbit/s).My connection much like the majority of people, runs at 8 Mbit/s (or 1Mbyte/s).Sometimes if you pay an arm and a leg each month you can buy a connection running at a lofty 30mbit/s and depending on your provider up to 60mbit/s or more. So, if you are one of the people that pays to have the fastest internet connection available perhaps you CAN max out G. Typically those connections are insanely high priced like about $100 or more a month. If you have that kind of connection go ahead and buy N... Otherwise don't waist you money.Like I said before I still use G because my ISP can't max it out and I'm unwilling to pay over $100 a month for the "Ultra 60" service.For the majority of people the only increase in speed they would see would be file transfers from one computer in thier house to the other. Even gaming wouldn't improve because it's not about bandwidth for gaming... It's about latency... So, if latency is what you are concered about then just plug in the wire.[/citation]

Correct...most internet connections will not touch 54 Mbps - however you should note that there is tcp/ip overhead associated with all data transfer which involves the tcp/ip stack, which is almost everything. If you add in signal loss inherent to wireless connections the real world throughput could be from 30-35 Mbps. This will likely not throttle most internet connections, but some. Wireless N really becomes useful when people want to reliably transfer data over a wireless LAN, which becomes a lot tougher as you add devices to the LAN. I personally will take wired over wireless any day though...

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
"According to TRENDnet, the TEW-690AP includes 4 SSIDs per wireless band, unique encryption for each SSID, WMM Quality of Service (QoS) data prioritization, WPA2-RADIUS encryption, an on/off power switch, and a Gigabit Ethernet port."

You had me @ "an on/off power switch"

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]My internet connection can't even max out G (54Mbit/s).My connection much like the majority of people, runs at 8 Mbit/s (or 1Mbyte/s).[/citation]

The 450Mbps is the speed you can transfer from one computer to another on the same network. This 450Mbps has nothing to do with your incomming ethernet connection speeds.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
For the love of all that is toms - please add a chat filter that flags anything with the word shoe for administrative review before appearing on the boards. Or better yet, ban their ISP's ip ranges..

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
This seems very cool. But what defines a compatible adapter? Do I need a dongle to make this work at full speed? What is the range? Will my N card get anywhere near the 450? Will there be support?

aliened

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]My internet connection can't even max out G (54Mbit/s).My connection much like the majority of people, runs at 8 Mbit/s (or 1Mbyte/s).Sometimes if you pay an arm and a leg each month you can buy a connection running at a lofty 30mbit/s and depending on your provider up to 60mbit/s or more. So, if you are one of the people that pays to have the fastest internet connection available perhaps you CAN max out G. Typically those connections are insanely high priced like about $100 or more a month. If you have that kind of connection go ahead and buy N... Otherwise don't waist you money.Like I said before I still use G because my ISP can't max it out and I'm unwilling to pay over $100 a month for the "Ultra 60" service.For the majority of people the only increase in speed they would see would be file transfers from one computer in thier house to the other. Even gaming wouldn't improve because it's not about bandwidth for gaming... It's about latency... So, if latency is what you are concered about then just plug in the wire.[/citation]

you should feel grateful about the prices in USA, here in Mexico internet providers (or should I say PROVIDER cuz its a fucking monopoly) are a bunch of thieves =( want to guess how much I must pay a month to get 2mbps?.... $45 dlls aprox -.-‘’’’ doing the math, that should mean that the 60mbps for which you must pay $100 bucks on USA would cost $1,350 dlls in Mexico o_O impossible? Unfortunately I don’t think so =’( If there even existed the infrastructure in Mexico to provide a 60mbps connection believe me that I would gladly pay $100 bucks for it. You guys are lucky.

teknomedic

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2007

BTW, my 30Mb/s or 3MB/s internet cost me $60 per month.

Also, I'd rather have a tons of overhead for FUTURE speed increases than to be stuck at 54Mbs when I need 100Mbs. On top of that, being able to transfer large files between multiple computers on the same network can easity max out even this fast device.

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
This is also useful for wire-less storage backup, printing and other devices as well. Having a raid bank attached to the router would limit the wireless signal bottleneck. You can use the excess bandwidth to do background backup onto the raid bank every 15 mins or so for multiple laptops in the house and not have to worry about tethering your equipment to external hard drives and can save money by having multiple laptop users all using a much larger shared bank (if u have such a situation.)

In fact I recently set up a RAID bank in my house and when looking at solutions, high bandwidth wireless routers were the primary bottleneck. Granted this is somewhat a unique situation, but then again a lot of people live in multiple mobile computer homes and I myself have a netbook, a powerful work laptop (that weighs a heck of a lot more) and a desktop so having a shared wireless bank is extremely convenient for not having to change connections yet access shared files.

mb2bm55

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
Also, a good raid bank is useful for those who act as 'administrator' in their homes for the less computer literate and who do not remember to a) back up their files or b) connect to the external hard drive when the system has an automatic routine to do so

voicu83

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2009
nice one trendnet ... can't wait for it

what are you guyz talking about? i pay my ISP 7 euros per month and i got 50Mbps internet (yes i download 720p movies in 10 mins) ... guess you all have to move to Romania

Status
Not open for further replies.