Trojan kicked me out of Tom's Hardware?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
D

Deleted member 1300495

I just logged into the site and a page came up saying that I had been banned from using teh website and to regain access I would have to enter a capatcha code. It did this two time. It said that it had tracked suspicious activity from my computer. Anyone else ever have this happen to them? I never do anything besides Tom's Hardware, schoolwork, and e-mail on this computer. Nothing even remotely close to suspicious. Why did it do this. I checked the URL to make sure it wasn't a trojan, but the URL was Tom's Hardware. If anyone can please tell me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Have just heard back from the devs.

Like Someone Somewhere stated, Distil is a third-party tool we implemented to prevent abusive crawling of our sites. If you recall in August/September when the site was inaccessible for a few days, that was caused by the site getting entirely too much traffic from bots/tools combing through the archives. Distil was implemented to filter this, and while we have had very few isolated reports of users being affected by it, it has happened (just the one time, in France).

The devs suggested that if you are using the Tom's Hardware Chrome extension, you should disable it since it crawls a lot of pages. If you are not using that extension, or anything similar that would frequently try to access the site and crawl threads for updates, then please let me know. The filter rules may need to be relaxed a bit so that users don't run into this problem.

D

Deleted member 1300495

I'll remove the extension. Thanks for the help guys!

D

Deleted member 1300495

How would it translate an image? Also, the Arabic in my avatar means God which I hope is not inappropriate in your world. Because that would mean that this website is extremely discriminatory.

Without knowing what it means, I suggested it could have been indentified as a problematic image. It might not translate it as such but it could have suspected it.

Far from being discriminatory, Tom's seeks to be, and possibly is, the most inclusive technical Forum on the Net but any image could be flagged up for investigation to be certain it isn't offensive.