thorthemighty

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
I have not really got into DVDs but with the Lord Of The Rings Trilogy about to be released I've decided that it is time for me to get a dvd player.
I don't need state of the art but I want to avoid a players that don't play all the dvds they are supposed to.
I have read that some are very fussy about what they play e.g. they might play some dvd r/w but not others etc.
Basically I don't want to worry about buying a dvd and then find out that I will be unable to watch it despite the player's specs saying that it should not be a problem.
I have heard a few good things about Liteons 811s and 812s. I am looking at the cheap end of the market and would appreciate any other suggestions for good value and reliablity.
Thanks

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Are you looking for a stand alone DVD player or one for your computer? The 811 and 812 are computer drives.

Here's a site that has lots of info on DVD players and their capabilities and media compatibilities. Mostly standalone players though.

<A HREF="http://www.dvdrhelp.com/" target="_new">http://www.dvdrhelp.com/</A>

Good luck,

BW

thorthemighty

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Although my original post was about an internal drive, I am actually looking for a standalone one as well.
I have been to the dvdhelp site before but unless anyone can badmouth the liteons, it looks like I'll be getting an 811 or 812 for my new pc.
Thanks for showing an interest BW.

Cinder

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
LITE-ON DVD burners will burn the DVD all the way through without any burning software errors but when you go to watch the movie your DVD player will have a very hard time reading the disk. The movie will start and pause then start again thirty seconds later because your video player software is trying to deal with the burn errors. I used some of the best Taiyo Yuden DVD+R available and burned at the drives slowest speed and I still got huge burn errors with a LITE-ON LDW 851S.

I’d go with an LG
It has worked very well for me.

Gadzooks

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2005
   Since we're providing suggestions, I have had perfect results with my Plextor PX-712SA.   I've seen good reviews for their latest models too, so I'll likely get another fairly soon.   With a decent rebate, I got a great 'bang-for-the-buck', including the PlexTools Professional that came with the drive.

For a set-top, I've had good luck playing various types of media with my LG LCX-514. At under $100, it's cheap to be sure. I'd look at the dvdrhelp site and google specific models you can buy easily to find reviews and opinions.