Solved! Trying to create a mobile hotspot from my laptop to my phone, can't get IP address

Aug 3, 2021
I am trying to create a mobile hotspot from my laptop so I don't burn through all my data on my phone. Every time I try to connect to my laptop it doesn't allow me to obtain an IP address. I've got my laptop discoverable to other computers on the network. I'm in a work camp and they don't provide internet so they can sell crappy over priced routers in order to fleece us. I've been searching for a solution for the past day and have found nothing that actually works. I might have to call microsoft at this point and we all know how much fun that is. Using an Asus tufgaming FX505dy-es51 all drivers and windows updates are current.

Solution
I assume your PC has a direct ethernet connection or you don't have access to the wireless password yourself. I've never tried to set up a hotspot using my PC since I've never been in your situation, but it seems like the PC needs to be running a DHCP server service (to supply an automatic IP to the phone) or you need to assign a static IP address to your phone. I suggest you search the internet for help in those areas. You likely have alreay poked around in the Winows X> Network Settings. I also notice that if I look at services (Sevices in the search bar) I see a DHCP client but no DHCP server. Sorry I can't be more help.
I assume your PC has a direct ethernet connection or you don't have access to the wireless password yourself. I've never tried to set up a hotspot using my PC since I've never been in your situation, but it seems like the PC needs to be running a DHCP server service (to supply an automatic IP to the phone) or you need to assign a static IP address to your phone. I suggest you search the internet for help in those areas. You likely have alreay poked around in the Winows X> Network Settings. I also notice that if I look at services (Sevices in the search bar) I see a DHCP client but no DHCP server. Sorry I can't be more help.

Solution