Solved! Trying to revive my mothers old hp pavilion dv6000

Strand

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017
So basically this laptop was laying around collecting dust for about 5 years I believe, ordered new charger because old one broke, but the laptop won't start.

When you press the power button with the cord plugged in you can see the power buttons light up and hear it try to start but it shuts off the millisecond after. All she wants on it is the pictures on her HDD, could this be an easy fix or am I better off buying some kind of adapter for the harddrive and transfer them over to my pc instead?

regards.

Solution
If all you want is the data off of the drive. I would use Knoppix Linux live CD. With this it will load in ram and you can access the HDD on the system if its not damaged. I mean if the issue with the system drive is the boot loader than than this can bypass that. If the drive has died that no data can be recovered.

However you will need a drive to copy the data to such as a 1TB USB drive. keep in mind that once you logout of Knoppix the live CD all the installs you did will vanish due to the fact its loaded in ram.

A guide on how this works

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm

If you need more help always ask. I have use Knoppix in the passed to recover data.

Dave8671

Honorable
Jan 1, 2014
If all you want is the data off of the drive. I would use Knoppix Linux live CD. With this it will load in ram and you can access the HDD on the system if its not damaged. I mean if the issue with the system drive is the boot loader than than this can bypass that. If the drive has died that no data can be recovered.

However you will need a drive to copy the data to such as a 1TB USB drive. keep in mind that once you logout of Knoppix the live CD all the installs you did will vanish due to the fact its loaded in ram.

A guide on how this works

https://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm

If you need more help always ask. I have use Knoppix in the passed to recover data.

Solution

Strand

Commendable
Jan 19, 2017

Yeah, disconnected the HDD from the laptop and just ran it in my own currently transferring the files to a USB. Forgot to update the thread, thanks anyway:)