Turning headphone jack into auxiliary

sureshparanjape

Estimable
Oct 3, 2015
I have TV with headphone socket. However tv's speakers get disconnected when I plug in headphone. My requirement is turn headphone jack into auxiliary output so that I can connect amplifier to it. My wife then can listen to TV, I cam listen to TV through amplifier with volume suitable for my years(I have difficulty in hearing clearly) and then both of us are happy! My TV doesn't have Auxiliary output. My earlier TV had one and we used to use this arrangement.
S.R.Paranjape

Solution
When you plug into the headphone jack there is a mechanical cutoff built into the jack itself that turns off the TV speakers.
It can be bypassed. If you open the TV and insert a plug you will see which contacts are broken. You just need to solder jumpers so that these contacts stay connected with the plug inserted.
If you can't do that any TV repair tech could do it for a minimal charge.
This is a variable output so the TV volume will affect the input to the amp. Set the TV level to make your wife happy (always a good thing) and then adjust the amp volume for yourself
When you plug into the headphone jack there is a mechanical cutoff built into the jack itself that turns off the TV speakers.
It can be bypassed. If you open the TV and insert a plug you will see which contacts are broken. You just need to solder jumpers so that these contacts stay connected with the plug inserted.
If you can't do that any TV repair tech could do it for a minimal charge.
This is a variable output so the TV volume will affect the input to the amp. Set the TV level to make your wife happy (always a good thing) and then adjust the amp volume for yourself

Solution