TV as monitor via HDMI not working

heymanhangout

Prominent
Dec 27, 2017
I just bought a graphics card that has an HDMI port. I'm trying to connect via HDMI w/Ethernet to TV, but for some reason it isn't working. I've previously used the same cable from a VGA+sound to HDMI converter (and that worked). The PC recognizes a second monitor, but the TV displays "recording data" before later displaying "no input" I have a visio tv a couple years old. Any ideas?

Solution
Try changing the video resolution of the 2nd monitor in the video control panel to match the native resolution of the TV.
The order you boot the computer and select the input on the TV will affect how they "handshake". It may take 10 seconds for the extended desktop to appear.
You can also try a different HDMI input on the TV and a different HDMI cable. Each combination of source-cable-display is different. All three are supposed to meet minimum HDMI standards but often one or more don't. So a cable can work with one combination and not another.
Try changing the video resolution of the 2nd monitor in the video control panel to match the native resolution of the TV.
The order you boot the computer and select the input on the TV will affect how they "handshake". It may take 10 seconds for the extended desktop to appear.
You can also try a different HDMI input on the TV and a different HDMI cable. Each combination of source-cable-display is different. All three are supposed to meet minimum HDMI standards but often one or more don't. So a cable can work with one combination and not another.

Solution