Solved! TV has no 'TV speakers off' function

Nov 3, 2018
Have an LCD Panasonic Viera which is a few years old and want to add a sound bar, however there is no way to switch offf the TV speakers, will the sound bar or other external speaker system work if I just reduce the TV volume to zero?? Reason I ask is that I read somewhere that you shouldn't run the TV speakers while using an external sound system

Thanks in advance

Solution
You are correct that you don't want the TV speakers and the soundbar playing at the same time.
If there is no speaker off setting in the TV it's pretty likely that turning the TV volume down will work fine. The audio output on most TVs is fixed volume and is not affected by the TV volume setting. You can check all this in the owners manual. If you don't have a copy then search online.
You are correct that you don't want the TV speakers and the soundbar playing at the same time.
If there is no speaker off setting in the TV it's pretty likely that turning the TV volume down will work fine. The audio output on most TVs is fixed volume and is not affected by the TV volume setting. You can check all this in the owners manual. If you don't have a copy then search online.

Solution
If u are going through the headphone out, that may be controlled by TV then u will have to go through the optical. If u are already going the optical, a dummy headphone plug may turn off the built-in like in a smartphone.

Nah, it shouldn't be that difficult, u missed something in the settings.