TV not full 240hz?

kgrevemberg

Honorable
May 2, 2013
Hey guys

I own a VIZIO M3D550KD which I currently have hooked up to my PC so i can use my racing wheel with a larger screen. The TV is marketed as a 240hz panel which I already disregard as fluff these days but assumed maybe it was at least 120. From the nvidia control panel on the pc via hdmi it will only see the 60 hz option. If I go to the system information on the tv it clearly says 60hz. (turning game mode on and off doesnt change anything)

So I guess my question is, does all this sound about right? If so i'm fine, just making sure :)

Solution
sounds about right. 120/240/480hz is basically fluff when talking about tvs given the inputs are limited to 60hz in most cases.

generally tvs post process this 60hz signal to a higher rate then strobe the backlight.

keep in mind that using these methods on the tv WILL induce visible lag so for pc use you want them turned off (use game mode or pc mode as it disables these)

now, there might be tvs on the market with true 120hz inputs on the market as technology changes over time but the last i've heard this was either not a thing or very uncommon.

sometimes there are ways of overclocking the tv http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/ but doing such voids all warranties and is risky behavior.

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

That 240hz thing they tell you is achieved through the tv proccesing and adding motion blur and such effects to the image making it look smoother. All you really need to know is that with tv's it's just marketing bs. The real refresh rate of most tv panels is 60hz.

sounds about right. 120/240/480hz is basically fluff when talking about tvs given the inputs are limited to 60hz in most cases.

generally tvs post process this 60hz signal to a higher rate then strobe the backlight.

keep in mind that using these methods on the tv WILL induce visible lag so for pc use you want them turned off (use game mode or pc mode as it disables these)

now, there might be tvs on the market with true 120hz inputs on the market as technology changes over time but the last i've heard this was either not a thing or very uncommon.

sometimes there are ways of overclocking the tv http://www.blurbusters.com/overclock/120hz-pc-to-tv/ but doing such voids all warranties and is risky behavior.

Solution
Some confusion?

The real refresh rate is 240Hz, however the HDTV can only take in a 60Hz signal (except for some TV's which are hacked).

That 60Hz signal has several frames buffered, and those are analyzed to create THREE fake frames for every real frame. The new, fake frames are created by analyzing the ACCELERATION of colors (such as a car turning a corner).

MOTION BLUR isn't added intentionally, it's a natural consequence of the increased frame rate. However, MOTION BLUR is a bad thing to be added because movies already add this at an optimal rate for the 24Hz content.

In addition, you should never use this for GAMING content due to the added latency in the post-processing pipeline.

*So it's not "BS" marketing. You just have to understand how it works. Basically use it for SPORTS and nothing else (helps to watch fast action).

Other:
Motion Blur is a natural consequence of there being too much data for our eye/brain to process. Motion Blur does not exist in the world as a "thing". When the information drops below a certain amount (many factors, so not an exact Hz) we can process everything without issue. Think of a SLIDE SHOW.

One of the challenges going to 48Hz video is that the amount of motion blur changes. We inject LESS of it into the video on processing (since increasing the Hz naturally produces more).

Problem is we've gotten used to a specific amount at 24Hz. The IRONY of all this is we are demanding "4K" video content but also don't want 48Hz content because it's "too clear" and looks "like a documentary" (due to less blur added). Sigh.

while technically its not untruth, its still incredibly deceptive and leads to many uniformed people making incorrect assumptions. there is a lack of information specified in many cases when it comes to tvs compared with monitors.

agreed, our minds are so used to motion blur being in video as well as the 24fps cinematic effect hat sharper clearer images give us the soap opera effect. in more descriptive terms images can often look fake, incorrect, plastic-like and strange even though by all means the video is crisper, clearer and truer to life.

the odd thing is that people can go from 60-120hz pc gaming right to watching a 24fps movie and accept both perfectly.

TRENDING THREADS